Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

A few things about last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2005
Ricketts-Anyone think he should have done better with their first goal? Ok he was on the ground but to me it looked like he only had to get a firm hand to it and scoop it away-hopefully to a defender who could then scoop it away. Those were the sorts of save Hendo made last year!

Kearney-Had an absolute mare of a game. His slack pass led to Holloway lunging in and also another slack pass of his led to them breaking for their second goal. The number of his passes that went to their team was shocking. Didn't really do much tackling wise either-apart from get booked. Worst player on the pitch by a mile.

Crooks-Think he should be given the holding role next game seeing as Kearney had such a shocker. Anyone see him at half time?-he looked quality!long across the field balls falling directly to peoples feet. Also looked good in pre-season. Worth a go IMO.

Wasn't sure about the sending off although someone near to me was adamant it was a sending off and said so as soon as Holloway went in. I thought a yellow would possibly have been fairer.

(If only Cooke hadn't missed that easy first-half volley!!!)

G
I don't think Ricketts could have done much about the 1st goal. I think he was wrong footed and tried to get to the ball but failed.

I agree that Kearney was awful last night but can't really blame him for the goals. IMO everyone was shite with the exception of Taylor, MBW, and Cooke in the 1st half.

As for Holloway. As soon as he made the challenge I thought to myself red card because he caught the guy above the knee and was quite dangerous but it was a 50/50 ball and he had to go in for it so maybe it was a bit harsh and probably should have got a yellow

Roll on MK Dons..........

May 21, 2005
BantamJay said:
I agree that Kearney was awful last night but can't really blame him for the goals. IMO everyone was shite with the exception of Taylor, MBW, and Cooke in the 1st half.
The second goal WAS his fault. There were easy passes on but like so many of his other passes it went to one of their players, Southend then broke and scored their second goal. They should have been stopped from turning it into a goalscoring opportunity but they did, we went from a decent attackig position into 2-0 down-due to Kearneys stray pass that gave them the initiative.

briggus

C&B Member
May 27, 2005
Brighouse
Kearney

Yes he was poor last night - but he has done this before and come through - he is probably a little rusty - lets give him a chance.

I thought the substitution was a little negative - with been 1 goal down why not go to a back 3 with petta/MBW wing backs and Kearney playing deeper. That would have left us with two strikers.

May 18, 2005
Briggus, i 100% agree. I thought that substitution was the turning point of the game, i still thought we could win it until we took Cooke off and put stewart on.

G
At half time we did go to a back 3.

Stewart, Wetherall and Bower at the back with MBW, Schumacher, Kearney and Taylor in midfield with Petta and Windass up front.

bg

C&B Member
May 19, 2005
briggus said:
Yes he was poor last night - but he has done this before and come through - he is probably a little rusty - lets give him a chance.

I thought the substitution was a little negative - with been 1 goal down why not go to a back 3 with petta/MBW wing backs and Kearney playing deeper. That would have left us with two strikers.

totally agree, Kearney should be given a chance, and in any event he was good on Saturday, all of them are probably not match fit.

If Crooks comes back, then we can say goodbye to positive football, which is what we want.

Ed

Megalomaniac
Administrator
May 18, 2005
When Crooks scored against Doncaster last season to win the game, I'm guessing none of your cheered?

briggus

C&B Member
May 27, 2005
Brighouse
tatics

BantamJay said:
At half time we did go to a back 3.

Stewart, Wetherall and Bower at the back with MBW, Schumacher, Kearney and Taylor in midfield with Petta and Windass up front.
Yes by pushing taylor up to wing back and a wide left man (not the tallest) to striker and removing a striker while we were a goal behind - thats the point I am trying to make about being negative. It hardly will give cooke any confidence will it - something he is lacking in front of goal at the moment.

I would have liked us to try and get a equaliser before adding a defender to the team on the pitch.

oliverson

C&B Member
Aug 6, 2005
It's easy to hit quality balls at the half-time interval with nobody challenging you.
Like Bruce Lee said 'Boards don't hit back'.

Status
Not open for further replies.