It's a problem area that goes around and around - to be honest the OMB Is a tame effort compared to the old days of filth / sexism and far right posts put there mainly by people Just stirring the reactions up.
This site Is good but don't get so far up your own backsides and think any MBoard Is a mouthpiece for the majority of fans .
Enjoy them for what they are and accept the boudaries of acceptable humour and ranting and raving .
Too much moderation will lead to extreme boredom and people drifting away , I am currently unable to log on the City Gent site for some reason and I cannot be bothered amending my user name - the message states mine contains a naughty word - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
I read this and posted the following on the other site:
way way over the top I'm afraid! Interesting article. There are some points I agree with though:
- Yes there is an element who enjoy being offensive to other users and enjoy entering into antagonistic dialogue as if entering into some kind of computer game. This isnt as much a problem as it used to be, but I used to get frustrated with the lack of respect people showed to others, and just a general lack of affability (if thats a word), and a lack of willing to express opinions without being personal.
- Yes, I find the racist element disgusting. It used to make me so depressed it actually made me feel negatively about the club as a whole. On the OMB I had never seen such open racism anywhere on the net!
- Well, some language is poor, but its been allowed for so long that its become the atmosphere most posters are used to. Whether this is wrong or right, it needs to be made clear who this board caters for. Either put an age restriction (which would suit me) and use it as adults only or filter swearing!
- well, yes genearlly there needs to be closer filtering.
Dont necessarily agree:
- Now, part of the job of a footballer is taking criticism, however stupid. A player should be able to shrug his shoulders and say 'well, I dont care that Joe Bloggs from Manningham lane, thinks I'm a useless effing ****'. Any player who takes these posts to heart is as foolish as the poster. Everyone should realise that people post like this to get attention and to get people to read their messages. We all need to take this with a pinch of salt. Sometimes its fuelled by emotion, sometimes by a moments madness, sometimes immaturity.
- One things for sure though - its only a typed version of what I hear at most home games in E block of Sunwin -
One more thing, I do like the article but to use examples and name and shame people in your article is not helpful, your only committing the same acts that they are when they post.
Lets remember to take everything with a pinch of salt, unless vehemently offensive / homophobic / RACIST! At the end of the day much is said tongue in cheek, and for a reaction!!............
As it happens the board is ok now, I quit the board in feb after I had had enough of the vile dialogue, but I reckon its much improved and of a tone and nature that I would see as the norm for football fans.
Just wanted to give the other side of the argument - thankyou if you took time to read this!! SamBantam82
One of the thing the article said about the criticism of players (which I 100% agree with) was some of the people posting abuse we're doing so no more than 5 min after the game so they weren't there, they never saw the game, the performance of the players, but we're still posting abuse. How can you criticise someone if you haven't seen them?
There is nothing wrong with criticism in my eyes but some of the stuff posted was just full blown abuse.
I stayed over after the game so I'd cooled down once I returned so none got any backlash from me. Individual players weren't the cause on Monday it was the team as a whole, none of them had any ideas on how to break the defence down.
It would be unfair to lay the blame of recent defeats at the feet of one or two players, the whole team hasn't performed for the last two games and the transfer talk hanging over Deano has affected his game, now the transfer window is shut the uncertainty is gone so things hopefully will get back to normal.
People can point at one or two players being to blame for the goal Blackpool scored but as a football fan everyone must of sensed that Blackpool were going to nick it, they were growing in confidence as we were getting more and more frustrated and the warning signs were there before the goal was scored as mini breaks and opportunites started to fall Blackpool way.
we are predictable,we dont seem to have a plan B.
down the wings to attack,c/mids sit back & protect back 4.
what else we got?
Last year we had sumerbee putting in good crosses and that was that,now weve got the same game plan but a winger on both sides that cant put in a decent cross with much consistencey.