Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ambition

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 19, 2005
Yeadon
You look at clubs like Town- "We aim to be one of the top 30 clubs by 2008" and other clubs, like wednesday, Luton and Hull, all made similar statements, in fact most clubs have made a statement about what they hope to achieve within the near future- I ASK WHERE ON EARTH IS OURS i wish rhodes would make a statement about our ambtions or do we simply not have any?

G
An unfair statement Bucky as Julian Rhodes is probably the most ambitious chairman in the bottom two leagues. When he secured the package to keep the club in existence when we got relegated to league 1 Rhodes re-affirmed his ambition to make us not a top 30 club, but a top 10 Premiership team. This was Richmonds ambition and Rhodes shares it, shown in a statement he made about a year ago when Julian said something along the lines of 'I fully intend to make us an established top 10 Premiership club one day'.

If anything its the manager, coaching staff and players that have a definite lack of ambition. Rhodes made the mistake of appointing a manager who is happy to sit comfortably in mid-table, and naturally that manager then went on to buy equally un-ambitious players. Likewise i don't think Windass is all that bothered about promotion and like Todd is happy to play out his remaining days in league 1.

Whilst on the surface in the new article on the official website Wetherall may appear unambitious his 'we need to be looking over our shoulders at the relegation zone' statement is very matter of fact and one we would all agree with. He has also acknowleadged that the Tranmere game provided very little entertainment for the fans. I think Wetherall wants promotion but knows it can't really happen in the present system. The fact that he's becoming more involved in the press and making more statements and giving more interviews lately evidence of him putting his name forward should a management job come up?

I think generally speaking the younger the player, the younger the manager then the more ambitious they are. Todd has been there, seen it, done it, he's no reason to want to desperately manage in the Premiership, he's done it before. Windass has been there seen it done it, he couldnt give a damn about the Championship let alone the Premiership.

We're seeing evidence of this in the success of the appointment of young inexperienced managers who appear to have the credentials on paper. Adie Boothroyd, Mike Newell etc... They will never be satisfied to just sit in mid-table because they havent yet lived the dream of managing in the Premiership and beyond...

Now McCall has always seemed an ambitious chap with bags of determination and enthusiasm, which is part of my argument why he'd be just the man to lead us to the promised land in a managerial role...

Is the top 10 Premiership dream possible? If done correctly i think yes. I also think if Richmond hadnt upset Jewell enough to make him leave then we would be a top 10 club right now. The Sunwin would cover the length of the pitch, the symphony would have been replaced, we'd have maybe had a venture into the UEFA cup, we'd have average crowds of around 24,000.

Why oh why fatty had to force Jewell out i'll never know...

May 24, 2005
Between the devil and deep blue sea!
Dbantx said:
Is the top 10 Premiership dream possible? If done correctly i think yes. I also think if Richmond hadnt upset Jewell enough to make him leave then we would be a top 10 club right now. The Sunwin would cover the length of the pitch, the symphony would have been replaced, we'd have maybe had a venture into the UEFA cup, we'd have average crowds of around 24,000.

Why oh why fatty had to force Jewell out i'll never know...
There's being ambitious - and there's being deluded mate....:eek: ;)

May 19, 2005
Yeadon
LOL i was just saying i havnt seen a pubic statement about it yet? All other teams publicise this a lot!!

Rhodes wants promotion we are told.... is that it? just promotion?

The Master

Wannabee Toff with a cheeky smile
C&B Donator
May 20, 2005
BD19
I wouldn't say deluded Matt , success would have seen our crowds grow in the Premiership should we have kept to something like Charlton's ethics - I see no reason to doubt that we could have averaged 24,000 and seen the stadium completed .
As it is , we are in a rut now and it will take a major shift to see us go forward , but nothing is impossible .
JR has years to achieve what he said , I doubt we can get back to the Premiership within a 5 year period , but then again who knows.
There's no need for any more ground redevelopment work , and as the club are merely long term tenants they are not responsible for this area - in fact why do we need to buy VP back ? , was it a 25 year lease ? - let the buggar run it's course and in the meantime new stadium plans can be talked about elsewhere - I used to be in the VP or nothing camp but admit now that a ground share in a fully redeveloped Odsal would make more sense - unless the area around VP is bulldozed that is.

B_i_N

C&B Member
May 20, 2005
Oslo
The bottom line is that Bradford is one of the biggest cities in Britain. It should in reality be able to sustain a top ten premiership side, even though we have a lot of other clubs close by. That is one of the reasons which attracted Richmond to Bradford, and as was shown in our short time. It is possible. Many fans are fickle, not just our club. But there are many people who live in the area who just want to come along and watch good football and top players. If that is served at VP then the rest follows. However with our current set up, we are bordering on the delusive thinking we can achieve it in the short term, unless we get someone who not only has ambition, but money as well.
How much money did Chelsea lose in the last financial year? 140 million quid? Makes the Euro lottery winnings look like small change.

Now if we were in the Premiership. How many of you would be complaining that you couldn't afford to buy a ticket?

G
The average attendance would have without doubt grew by a few thousand. Success breeds support. If we were a mid-table Premiership team we would have somewhere between Blackburn/Bolton crowds.

Speaking of Wiseys mention of a new ground theres no telling how much our fan base would grow in a fancy new stadium. Screw Odsal though, Bulls want to turn it into a circus ground with a new main stand and swirly things behind it.

A new 32,000 capacity stadium opening with a home derby against Leeds...i'd bet my last penny that it would sell out. If we were in the Premiership it would sell out for games against the top four as well.

The glory hunters are in the background just waiting for the local team to get good, the majority as Wisey say want to see top players against top sides. As i said in another thread a 10 year run in the Premiership and our hardcore fanbase who would support us through thick and thin would grow exponentially.

I think the ambition to become a top 10 Premiership team is very realistic if done properly.

Sterling Archer

I really envy those who have never met you.
C&B Member
May 21, 2005
Economic traveling migrant
Crowds would of gone up especially if Leeds had still gone down...Quite a few cross that dirty border to watch the Scum....

They would have stayed this side of the wire if we were still up...

The Master

Wannabee Toff with a cheeky smile
C&B Donator
May 20, 2005
BD19
believe it or not , there are many floaters around who zip in and out when the good times come - Ive seen people at City when we were doing well who were "staunch" scum fans .
More floaters around west yorks than there are in the Med.

G
'believe it or not , there are many floaters around who zip in and out when the good times come - Ive seen people at City when we were doing well who were "staunch" scum fans .
More floaters around west yorks than there are in the Med.'

Aye, i know several self proclaimed L666s fans who still go to watch City on occassion. I know some that went regularly when we were in the Premiership.

Good run in the Premiership and plenty of the L666s fans in Bradford would probably become fairly loyal City fans.

The glory hunters never had a chance to get hooked on City or get their kids into City we were in and out of the Premiership that fast. When you look at teams like Sheffield Wedesday and Nottingham Forest IMO they have sustained their large support because many got hooked on them during their long periods in the Premiership.

Status
Not open for further replies.