Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anyone else get the feeling we are going to completely fluke promotion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G
Because i do. Despite playing rubbish and at times sleep inducing football i get the feeling we are going to sneak into the playoffs and win it......gaining promotion by complete by fluke.

We are on better form this season than we were the last, and it would not surprise me in the slightest if we beat Forest in the last game of the season to clinch sixth place and then went onto win it in an amazingly surprising fasion.

Fans of the teams we play have been calling us rubbish all season....the more astute opposition fans have seen a method behind the madness and have admired the way we cut teams out of the game and hit them on the counter.

The way its shaping up all us Todd bashers will end up with egg on our faces because despite shit performances we will end up promoted.

We are playing patient football, VERY patient football and contrary to some peoples beliefs that we are building up to a season of nothingness i think we are going to play rubbish all season and still gain promotion.

Just my opinion but it seems to be going that way to me...

bg

C&B Member
May 19, 2005
I am not worried about egg on my face, couldn't care less to be honest, if we get promotion then I will be extremely pleased, because it means that this club is on the mend.

However, what is as important is that we can maintain the home support. The only way of doing that is to play good winning football at home, in order to maximise the financial position at this club.

What I have seen so far, is most certainly not good enough to get the crowds in, the home support is going down every week. That is putting this club in a precarious position yet again.

Quite frankly winning away from home, will not do it, nor will looking in the Sunday papers at our position in the table. It might for those that are not attending matches week in and week out, but those poor sods that trail down their every other week, it is boring, frustrating, and makes you want to lie down with a cold cloth on your head when you get home.

Watching city play this defensive negative football, is just terrible. The best of it is, there is no need for it. We have good attacking footballers, we just need to play with a positive outlook, and attack when we are at home. What I saw last Monday was unacceptable, for the last 20 minutes we should have been putting them under pressure on the ball, maintaining possession, and attacking. We did none of those basic things that you would do 1-2 down at home, we just went into defensive mode. Now that is down to the 'culture' of the team, and that is totally driven by the Manager. That is what needs changing. I cannot see us getting promotion with that kind of mentality. Fortune favours the brave, I truly believe that. We got our last two promotions by being a positive side not a negative side.

If we do stumble into the next division by playing this way, how on earth do you think we will stay there?

Barmy

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
Leicester
We might fluke promotion but think we'll easily get into the playoffs IMO..

At moment we've been playin crap and still pickin up points and lost only 1 in our last 7/8 matches..

just think what we'll be like when we start playin well.. :D:D

G
To be honest bg i think our tactics are more suited to the Championship. We seem to rely on teams attacking us, soacking up the pressure and then passing our way to the opposition goal.

Huddersfield may score loads, but they also leak goals here there and everywhere.

IMO in the Championship teams are a lot more eager to attack, think of the the amount of times the other year in the Championship we saw teams come to VP and go all out attack.

With a good keeper and a strong defense our tactics will favour us in the Championship.

May 20, 2005
Promotion is still possible. We have an extremely average squad in an extremly average division. We have a manager of average ability making the best of what he has to work with. What we've got isn't going to get better. What you see is how it is. The only way things will improve is if we start moving forward off of the pitch, and the people involved there are well BELOW average.

Rick

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
Anyone can get promoted in this league, all it takes is to string a few wins together and your up at the top end of the league. Forest and Bristol had awful starts to the season but they are now just behind us in the league who are one point off 5th.

bg

C&B Member
May 19, 2005
Dbantx said:
To be honest bg i think our tactics are more suited to the Championship. We seem to rely on teams attacking us, soacking up the pressure and then passing our way to the opposition goal.

Huddersfield may score loads, but they also leak goals here there and everywhere.

IMO in the Championship teams are a lot more eager to attack, think of the the amount of times the other year in the Championship we saw teams come to VP and go all out attack.

With a good keeper and a strong defense our tactics will favour us in the Championship.
Hadn't thought about that Dbantx, you may have a point............that is if they don't bore me to death in the process;)

Wahki Nells

Wahki Nells
C&B Member
May 28, 2005
we'll go up thru the playoffs, anniversary of 96 playoffs...i see it all happening again, that said i was only 9/10 at the time...

Ed

Megalomaniac
Administrator
May 18, 2005
Many pundits reckon Todd's tactics would have us half way up the championship.

Those tactics don't work in this league though.

Rick

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
My personal opinon of the sides.

Comparison of the sides

GK - Combe - Ricketts - I'd pick Ricketts

FB - Francis - Edgehill - I'd Pick Francis
CB - Gavin - Wetherall - Let me think Wetherall
CB - Atherton - Bower - Bower no question
FB - Heckingbottom - Taylor - I'd go for Taylor

MF - Summerbee - Petta - Not sure, probably Summerbee
MF - Kearney - Crooks - Kearney on his day but Crooks on form 50/50
MF - Farrelly - Schumacher - Farrelly
MF - Muirhead - Muirhead - N/A

SK - Gray - Claridge - I'd pick Claridge
SK - Windass - Windass - N/A

Old Side - 3.5
Current Side - 5.5
N/A - 2

Rick

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
beerbantam said:
Wetherall and Bower were both in Todds squad that was relegated!
So Todd got us relegated, theres me thinking Robbo was Manager during our relegation season. Bower never played either because Robbo thought the sun shined from Gavin's arse even though the rest of us realised Gavin was garbage.

Rick

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
beerbantam said:
Sound familiar? Holloway!!
How many games has Holloway started this season?

Gavin started at least 75% of all games played.

I have Holloway with no more than 3 starts and the rest as sub.

May 19, 2005
Yeadon
Thorney why francis who is over rated over a proven premiership experienced player?

Status
Not open for further replies.