Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Best opening day game?/memories

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the eve of the release of the opening day fixtures, which game/s do you remember the most?

Hartlepool away last season seemed "Special" as It looked like we'd never have a team to support at one stage last summer!

Norwich at home in our relegation season, losing 2-0 & pulling it back to 2-2 in the 93rd minute!
Also that game was the "Warmest" I remember ever watching a football game!

I cant remember who the oponents were, but we beat them 2-0 at VP, early 90s with goals from McCarthy & Jewell! It was my mates 21st birthday & we were on the lash all day, ending up In 5th Avenue!
Earlier McCarthy, Jewell & Paul Reid had come to my mates party at Hudsons!
Great day that was! lol

Rick

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
Has to be Boro away in the Prem, I was sat not far behind Stuart McCall, when Saunders scored Stuart was totally mobbed by hundreds of City fans, pure bliss!

Other ones that stand out were beating pompey at home when they had nine men amd tonking chester away 4-0.

bg

C&B Member
May 19, 2005
Liverpool away, had a fantastic day out.

Drinking all day, having fun, and community singing on the train on the way home, lol

Thorney said:
Has to be Boro away in the Prem, I was sat not far behind Stuart McCall, when Saunders scored Stuart was totally mobbed by hundreds of City fans, pure bliss!

Other ones that stand out were beating pompey at home when they had nine men amd tonking chester away 4-0.
Remember the Chester game Thorney, I was in Benidorm on my jolly's with my mates!

Think the score was 4-1 though & my mate phoned his mum to find out the score & she said we'd found the new "Gazza" aka Shaun Murray! lmao

Costello

C&B Member
May 27, 2005
The 2-0 with Scud and Jagger scoring was Brighton in 93 I think.

My favourite is Boro in 99 though. I think I was warmer against Stockport in 97, than against Norwich, that was a scorcher, and Rob Steiner scored a great winner from a Beags cross.

I also remember the 1-0 win against Bournemouth in 95. Not for the match, but the number of people in town who didn't know that the new season was starting. I wonder how many of those people were at Wembley for the last match of that season?

Spot on there Costello, Brighton rings the bells alright! lol

I also missed the 1-0 Bournemouth game due to International duties in Tenerife! pmsl

Ps Did super Neil Tolson get the winner in that game?

TSSB

C&B Member
Jun 6, 2005
South Shields
Sean McCarthy debut at home to tranmere, scored, twice taken pealty and later sent off, what a debut, can't remeber the year but a game that certinly sticks in the memory.TSSB

Remember the Sean McCarthy debut against Tranny, scored, missed a penalty to put us ahead, got sent off & then we lost 2-1!

The John Docherty years eh, ya cant beat em can you? pmsl

TSSB

C&B Member
Jun 6, 2005
South Shields
He was a prolific marksmen that Ian muir, he must have scored virtually all tranmeres goals, apart from when Aldridge came on the scene.TSSB

May 22, 2005
Norwich at home 2-2 fightback,red hot day loads of beer before, during and after the game.Massive hangover,you know the one screwdriver headache,furry tongue and people talking to you in a mumble.
Never again,ye right.

Status
Not open for further replies.