Transfer Rumour Ched Evans

Discussion in 'City Talk' started by Lofty, Apr 20, 2012.

?

Would you offer Evans a contract?

1. Yes

365 vote(s)
    74.3%
  2. No

126 vote(s)
    25.7%
  1. Lofty

Lofty Perfume Ponce

Hero
    Ratings:
    +9,990 / 211 / -197
    Favourite Player:
    Etienne Verveer
    First Game:
    Burnley 1993
  2. Mallorcabantam

Mallorcabantam Torquemada ¿Que Haces?
    C&B Full Member

Out to grass
    Ratings:
    +1,354 / 29 / -54
    Favourite Player:
    R Liversidge
    First Game:
    Norty boy -- Very norty

3. Säure

C&B Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 9 / -15
    I hear Oldham have already agreed to sign him when he's released in about 2 years.:rolleyes:

4. The Reverend

The Reverend God's Second Son.
    C&B Member

Work at Asda.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -2
    Deserves it. Poor woman.

• poop poop x 2
  5. Wahki Nells

C&B Full Member

Ratings:
    +1,125 / 36 / -131
    Favourite Player:
    First Game:
    always hard to judge cases like this without hearing (seeing?) much of the evidence

to me, that beeb article is almost sympathetic to evans - was it really proven beyond all reasonable doubt that this was rape? doesn't seem that way from the article

on the one hand, he could have got a rough ride with this sentence, she said yes etc... he sincerely didn't think it was rape nor that she was drunk

then again, he could be a horrible ******* who took advantage of a (really) pissed up and vulnerable woman, deserving of all he gets

really hard to know even with the evidence in these sorts of cases, it all comes down to how the grey areas are interpreted by the jury I suppose, and you have to give them the benefit of the doubt

hypothetically if the woman did say yes and evans could prove this (video evidence or something) would it still be rape, given her level of intoxication (even if this was not apparent from the same video)? anyone got any legal idea?

6. Wahki Nells

C&B Full Member

Ratings:
    +1,125 / 36 / -131
    Favourite Player:
    First Game:
    p.s. forgot to add, either if it was rape or it wasn't, the poor lass still feels she was raped, which i suppose is actually the saddest and most important/traumatising thing for her - only 19 remember.

7. Parrot

C&B Member

Interior designer
    Thornton...a small place in between fiction and re
    Ratings:
    +4,468 / 129 / -226
    Favourite Player:
    mccall
    First Game:
    Well lets hope he did rape her cos he's doing 5 years in the slammer for it!

I can't see how he's been done seeing as it seems its his word against a drunken woman who admitted she was that pissed she didn't know what was happening?

Strange one, lets hope justice as been done.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lofty

Lofty Perfume Ponce

Hero
    Ratings:
    +9,990 / 211 / -197
    Favourite Player:
    Etienne Verveer
    First Game:
    Burnley 1993
    Surely these lads must know the girl is far too trollied to know what she's doing even if she says yes? At best it's two lads that took advantage of a young vunerable drunk girl and worst case she was raped and he deserves his sentance.

There must be some mitigating evidence because more often than not these cases get thrown out and it's a case of "the girl must've regretted being spit roasted" etc

9. BeagrieBlakeandMills

C&B Full Member

Stay at home Daddy.
    Ratings:
    +2,125 / 72 / -220
    Favourite Player:
    McCall, Beagrie, Blake, Mills.
    First Game:
    Fulham (H) 1994.
    Agree with this, paticularly having read that she didnt have any alcohol in her system when tested.

10. Tallinnbantam

C&B Member

Pub owner
    Ratings:
    +392 / 18 / -27
    Favourite Player:
    Routis
    First Game:
    What I don't understand, is that the other player she had sex with FIRST, got off. Surely by the time Ched jumped in, she'd had sobered up a bit to know what she was doing. If she hadn't - then why wasn't the other guy done too? Unless of course, she said "yes" (while drunk) to him, and then "no" (while sober) to Ched. BUT.if that is the case, how come she woke up the following morning not remembering anything?

As pointed out, she was obviously upset enough to call the cops, but then the other side of me feels a bit sorry for Evans, who may be just part of her "escape clause" for having a gangbang and not wanting anyone to think bad of her.

And as Lofty says - these guys must know that they are potential victims of exploitation, and should stay away in case they get their fingers burnt.

11. Abbomf

Ratings:
    +10,690 / 240 / -722
    Favourite Player:
    Hanson
    First Game:
    Blackpool
    He had it coming, hopefully more footballers trading on their z list celebrity status might moderate their behaviour after this trial.

I agree that is does not look a cut and dried case. But did this girl, drunk enough to fall over, really agree to be shagged by one bloke she was only just met and then his mate who enters the room who's she's never met, all the while being filmed through the window? What's the chances of that then?

I think both should have been sent down, McDonald and the "filmers" for a few months too. It is disgusting behaviour, where would that film have ended up? The girl is somebody's daughter! If my daughter was abused like this then these men would have far more serious things to worry about than doing "time". :mad:

Why do these footabllers like to be in close proximity to naked "excited" other men anyway? It is friggin weird if you ask me.

12. father ted

C&B Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    They shared a taxi and she seemed to accompany McDonald to the hotel of her own free will. That's probably what saved him from a prison sentence and he's been very fortunate. Evans has no such excuse though, he got what he deserved.

13. Pidge

C&B Full Member

Ratings:
    +7,894 / 533 / -261
    Favourite Player:
    Mezza
    First Game:
    1995ish
    I'm not a lawyer, but thought it came in a few years ago that even if she said yes when drunk it was still rape because she wouldn't be fully aware of what she was doing?

14. Abbomf

Ratings:
    +10,690 / 240 / -722
    Favourite Player:
    Hanson
    First Game:
    Blackpool
    If McDonald was aware of the "filiming" then I think everybody should have suffered.

15. Parrot

C&B Member

Interior designer
    Thornton...a small place in between fiction and re
    Ratings:
    +4,468 / 129 / -226
    Favourite Player:
    mccall
    First Game:
    I have 2 daughters too and wouldn't like to think what i'd do if either of them were ever in a similar position.

Although I'd like to think i've brought them both up to not get in a position like this in the first place.

What Is this girl doing getting in such a state then agreeing to go on her own with a stranger to an hotel for sex?

Of course Im not saying this girl deserved what happened but its not like she was dragged kicking and screaming from the streets against her will and i dont see this as a cut & dry case of rape.

If every woman who had a one night stand and regreted it the next day enough to call the Police then there would be a lot of extra prisons needed.

IMO all parties in this case have acted imorally but one has been jailed for 5 years while the others are free?

16. Sticksismydad

The restaurant at the end of the Universe
    Ratings:
    +5,145 / 107 / -126
    Favourite Player:
    Too many to mention!
    First Game:
    1970's
    I'm not a criminal lawyer but I know from colleagues that 'proving' rape is incredibly difficult. Fundamentally it's one persons word against another unless there is some other corroborating evidence whether that's injuries, witnesses, video etc. Judges have been set guidelines especially in cases where the woman is not necessarily capable of making a rational decision whether from booze or more insidiously from so called 'rape drugs'. There is still a wide range of latitude in judging what really has happened. And just because a woman has been drinking doesn't necessarily make it rape. Otherwise the courts could be awash with rape allegations! On a slightly different point, it surprises me a little that McDonald was found not guilty of something but it depends what he was accused of. If for example it had been a wider charge such as 'conspiracy to commit rape' or inded he had been charged with an 'asociation' (as is becoming more common with gang crime) then I believe he would also be serving time at Her Majesty's Pleasure. But indeed without knowing all of the facts, it's difficult to form a full opinion

17. Tallinnbantam

C&B Member

Pub owner
    Ratings:
    +392 / 18 / -27
    Favourite Player:
    Routis
    First Game:
    If you read McDonalds version of the story and she came to be back at his hotel room, if he had woken up the next day, could he have pressed for rape? Apparently she pounced on him as soon as they got into the room, and one thing led to another. IF it has been just him, and not Evans and the viewing audience, then wouldn't it have been the same situation but roles reversed? He could have said he was very drunk and woke up the next day knowing something had happened but not entirely sure what.

Of course - that would never happen, but as Parrot says, she was not an entirely innocent party in all of this.

18. Giantstrawstacks

C&B Full Member

lingerie model
    Ratings:
    +2,271 / 74 / -137
    Favourite Player:
    Mezza
    First Game:
    Notts County
    That's correct. Law was changed in 2006 IIRC to the affect that a drunk woman can't consent to sex. If you ask me 5 years is a bit harsh, she went back to his hotel room - was she expecting to look at his stamp collection?

19. Clayton

Ratings:
    +13,224 / 214 / -591
    Favourite Player:
    McCall
    First Game:
    She didn't go back to Evens room did she?

5 years is almost the minimum for rape I would think.

20. Giantstrawstacks

C&B Full Member

lingerie model
    Ratings:
    +2,271 / 74 / -137
    Favourite Player:
    Mezza
    First Game:
    Notts County
    True, she went to his mates room - but he was acquitted even though he went first and thus she'd have been drunker and thus less consenting you'd have thought.

Sentencing guidelines are a min of 5 years where victim is 18+