Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Chris Shuker

Status
Not open for further replies.
G
Oldham target Chris Shuker has been told that he has until Friday to sign a new contract at Barnsley.

The diminutive midfielder was voted as the club's Player of the Season last term and is highly regarded by the coaching staff at Oakwell.

There is an offer on the table for a new contract but thus far, Shuker has failed to concur on the terms being offered.

Having reached an impasse, boss Andy Ritchie has told the player that the terms on offer will not be increased.

''We have heard nothing concrete from Chris yet and we are just waiting for him to say yes or no,'' Ritchie told the club's official website.

''It is our final offer and I made that clear to him yesterday.

"I told him that we want an answer one way or the other by this Friday and that there will be no changes to the offer on the table.

''We are at our final offer and we want to know what is happening so we can continue to plan for next season.''

It is expected that Oldham could step up their bid for a new forward thinking player in the next few days having admitted defeat in their attempt to land Luke Beckett.

"There has been a lot of speculation by fans about Luke Beckett, so I think it is only fair to let them know that Sheffield United officially turned down a £150,000 bid for the player,'' Oldham chief executive Alan Hardy told the club's official website.

"Ronnie is now looking at other strikers, but we would have liked Luke to have joined our promotion push at Boundary Park.''

He looked quality when we played Barnsley, maybe we could try and get him ahead of Oldham. I think we are a much more attractive club than Oldham.

Barmy

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
Leicester
BantamJay said:
He looked quality when we played Barnsley, maybe we could try and get him ahead of Oldham. I think we are a much more attractive club than Oldham.
Think Oldham can probably offer him more money than we can, as its more money he's wanting thats stopping him signing a new contract with Barnsley.

Barmy

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
Leicester
Barnsley have been handed a boost by the news that midfielder Chris Shuker has signed a new contract with the club.

The former Manchester City man was voted the club's Player of the Season last term and was offered a new one-year deal by the Oakwell outfit.

Speculation regarding his future, however, began to arise after the 23-year-old initially stalled on putting pen-to-paper with The Tykes because of his wage demands.

Barnsley boss Andy Ritchie gave Shuker until the end of next week to accept the club's offer, with League One rivals Oldham Athletic and Tranmere Rovers starting to show their interest.

However, Shuker has decided to accept Barnsley's terms for next season - much to the delight of Ritchie.

"He is an exciting player and one that we need in our squad if we are going to do well next season," Ritchie told the club's official website.

"His signature is the one that we have been waiting for all summer and we can now concentrate on moving forward.

"There have been a lot of negotiations through the summer so far between both parties and I am just delighted that Chris will be a Barnsley player."

Status
Not open for further replies.