Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Do we think we'll get a target man then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G
For me its a necessity if we want to challenge for promotion. IMO the squad is as strong as it was last season apart from possibly in the goalkeeping department. Some of the new signings are not very inspiring but we cant have got any worse.

Without a good new targetman though i dont think we will make the playoffs.

Sterling Archer

I really envy those who have never met you.
C&B Member
May 21, 2005
Economic traveling migrant
Cooky was unlucky last term not to score a hell of a lot more...

He was in the right place hit the right shot but his didnt go inDeanos did...

From what i saw he works his arse off all the time... I think he will do the bizz this year and score a decent tally...

The three main strikers we have are quality if all fit but the second string is ropey at best .. Maybe one more older wiser striker in to shore us up should do the biz...

Target man no .... Another striker yes....

briggus

C&B Member
May 27, 2005
Brighouse
tony d said:
Cooky was unlucky last term not to score a hell of a lot more...

He was in the right place hit the right shot but his didnt go inDeanos did...

From what i saw he works his arse off all the time... I think he will do the bizz this year and score a decent tally...

The three main strikers we have are quality if all fit but the second string is ropey at best .. Maybe one more older wiser striker in to shore us up should do the biz...

Target man no .... Another striker yes....
I think a target man with more height and physical presence is needed - one who can win the high balls consistently - with deano. cooke we do not get that. It also keeps the oppostion guessing to how we will approach games -adds another dimension to free kicks / set pieces - an area we need to improve on.
If petta is there to supply crosses we would benefit more too

Sterling Archer

I really envy those who have never met you.
C&B Member
May 21, 2005
Economic traveling migrant
I just think Cooky does alright as a target man ... I mean as for quality crosses, we didnt get enough last term for him to attack ... I seem to recall alot of through the centre work for cooky and he did that very well... :confused:

G
In my opinion Cooke is not a targetman. He is just about six foot but just doest seem good enough with his head to be able to knock balls on with his head or to be a real presence in the box. He's a very similar player to Windass except a bit taller.

TSSB

C&B Member
Jun 6, 2005
South Shields
I would personally like to see a target man signed up by todd, sometimes it aint that pretty to watch, but like quinn and phillips at sunderland, and sutton and shearer it works, but who's available that could do us a job?

G
I'd say either James Quinn who has turned down a contract offer at Sheffield Wednesday? Or possibly Carl Asaba who has just been released by Sheffield United. Boht around 6'2 but i'd say Quinn would be the better option.

Ed

Megalomaniac
Administrator
May 18, 2005
Oh yeah and both those players are better than we already have, it would be the Craig Armstrong thing all over again ...

G
'Oh yeah and both those players are better than we already have, it would be the Craig Armstrong thing all over again ...'

Craig Armstrong was worse than what we already have.

Its not so much about getting better than what we already have its about getting players with different strengths in to the ones that we already have.

In our forward line who is over six foot AND can head the ball well...and dont say Cooke.

Cooke is a poor mans Windass, Cadamarteri is small and quick but we still have no one to hold up the ball and to get his head to any incoming crosses. So unless we intend on playing down the center all year we are b.uggared.

Quinn would be just the type of player we need, big, strong and someone who can head...a targetman.

IMO its about getting a variety of types of players in who all posess different strengths and qualities, not clones of each other. We could have a whole team of Mark Bowers who is good in his own right but i doubt many would be saying 'we dont need to bring anbody in unless they are better than what we already have'.

G
I can't see Quinn coming. He turned down a contract at Sheff Wed in a higher division and they probably offered more money than what we could offer

G
Apparantly Quinn turned down the contract he was offered at the Wendys because he was angry with Paul Sturrock or the club for not holidng their end of some sort of deal and seems willing to move to any league 1 club that will offer him terms.

briggus

C&B Member
May 27, 2005
Brighouse
target man

Agree we do need some one with height - to offer us other options whether quinn would - may be. what is clear -there are not many useful target men available that we could afford. Hopefully CT has one earmarked but is playing the waiting game i.e. hoping who ever he has made represenatations to does not get a better offer between now and the season kicking off.

Why Is everyone obsessed with a so-called 10ft target man?

I admit, In the past i have also called for the same type of player to be brought into our squad.

What we need is a striker that scores goals, whatever size he is, Tony Cottee, Gary Lineker & Michael Owen are all under 6ft yet they scored a fair amount of headers from crosses into the box, its all about timing, positioning & your ability to leap high!

Danny Cadermarteri is "different" from the rest of our strikers as he has good pace & dribbling skills.

The reason we didn't get in the play-offs last year wasn't because we couldn't score enough goals, it was because we conceded too many!

briggus

C&B Member
May 27, 2005
Brighouse
target man

Parrot:

The fact it gives other options to how the team plays is why I think it would be useful. The number of times when we pumped it - for an outlet only for the taller oppostion defenders to beat us to the ball and gain possession - happened too frequently.

Yes it can be about timing but if the talller defender times it right too he is going to win the majority of headers.

If we play one style with a fluid front two accross the front all the time other teams can plan there tatics to counter it - having strikers with different attributes can keep the opposition guessing - upset their game plan. Just look how Chesterfield at VP did it to us last season.

I know the point your making Briggus, but Isn't it upto the team to play to the strength of the strikers?

Many times we've seen Forrest or Sanasy put on the pitch when were losing 1-0 & the team, in their desperation for an equaliser, knock up long, high balls into the opponent box! Why not get it to their feet or hit it beyond the defenders for them to chase?

Remember some "big forards" we've had over the years? Torpey, Tolson ect... to name a few.

The McCarthy/Jewell partnership was quite effective yet you wouldn't call either of them giants, would you?

G
'Remember some "big forards" we've had over the years? Torpey, Tolson ect... to name a few.'

Aye but also remember the likes of Mills and most recently of all Dele Adebola. League 1 defenses just could not deal with Adebola, he was too strong, too tall, too fast, too good at heading the ball on to Windass and too good at holding the ball up and too good at keeping it for most players in this division. I think if Dele had have accepted our contract offer we put to him mid way through last season we would have made the playoffs, after he left there was a huge dip in form. Ideally we need someone in the Adebola mold or as close as possible

TBH I dont think Dele's strongest asset was his heading, how many headed goals did he score while he was here? I agree though, he did hold the ball up very well & had pace to boot!

I also agree with you that if Dele had stayed all season, we'd have made the play-offs!

Status
Not open for further replies.