Follow up - Predictions Poll 2017/18

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Whats you thoughts on this seasons campaign. Where will we finish?

• Champions

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • 2nd Place - Automatic

Votes: 16 13.6%
  • In the Mix - Play offs

Votes: 54 45.8%
  • Just missing play offs

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Mid Table

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • Avoiding Relegation

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Relegated

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 15, 2017
Bradford
Careful now.

Like you, and like last season, I think a good start will be key. And while there are tricky elements to the first five games - if I was going to name teams that I think will struggle this season then Blackpool, Gillingham and Walsall would be there. I am wary of a play off hangover that we managed to avoid last season but do think we have an opportunity to banish it again with the early season fixtures. Even catching Blackburn early in the season at home looks favourable (although we are bound to lose at home at some point!).

Like @Tawheed Ali has said, there are players who contributed a lot last season that are still here - Doyle, McMahon, NKP, Vincelot, Law, Wyke & Jones. If Wyke & Jones can pick up where they left off and implement that all season then we have half a chance already. Of course Meredith, Cullen & Marshall are key losses but in Chicksen, Reeves & McCartan/Taylor we might not have as good replacements pound for pound, but in terms of doing a job for the team as a whole they look to be good replacements. I'm expecting a big impact from Gilliead this season as well.

As you outlined, replacing McArdle seems like the last piece of the jigsaw - and its a key final piece. But we did well without McArdle in the early stages of last season and would've done even better if we had goals in the side rather than Hanson, McNulty & Vuckic. That signing could be the difference between whether we are in the pack chasing the top two or in the pack chasing the top six.
Same we need a good start as confidence breeds confidence.

RonnieBrown

Rhubarb n' custard
C&B Member
Jul 30, 2013
Rotherham
I didn't vote on the original ....... and wary of voting on this one. (Which has a deadline before a league match is played !)
I still maintain that until we've all witnessed over half a dozen league games, the predictions will remain erratic. Therefore I will stand by my first thoughts ....... of just missing the play offs. At this early stage I'm truly struggling to see where anything more than 70 points will come from ?
I loved our 'Fast Start' last campaign. But I am fearful of achieving only half those points by game 6/7 And that is the point I expect any change in our fortunes to start. (As the Window slams firmly shut, until January - and I see little, if any business then!).

My main concerns (to explain) are the new rear guard, and a seemingly unbalanced midfield. I'm not dismissive, but guarded, for sure. :)

Jun 22, 2017
Birstall
One thing that is in our favour for this season is surely the other teams in the League. Sheff Utd had a Championship level striker up front and Bolton were throwing money at players until they got promoted. I don't think Fleetwood or Scunthorpe will perform like they did last season and of the newcomers I think we only have Blackburn to fear! The squad (while changed significantly) is a lot more settled than the start of last season and we now have a set of our own strikers from which partnership and playing relationships can be built.

Apr 4, 2013
I don’t have a problem with people taking a view that we’ll have a good season. It’s all about opinions – but having a more pessimistic view than an optimistic one, makes an opinion no less valid.

My view on the season ahead is shaped by a number of things.

Firstly, and to put it simply, I think we’re weaker as a side. I’m not really arguing that we’ve added potential – largely on the basis of age, I think it’d be fair to take that view. But in terms of ability here and now, I think we’ve gone backwards. I’d rather have Marshall than Taylor. I’d rather have Cullen than Reeves. I’d rather have McArdle than Greer. I’d rather have Meredith than Chicksen. In each case, I think the player coming in is of lesser quality than the one they’ve replaced. I know very little about McCartan but on the bits I’ve seen and from what I’ve heard, I think he could well prove to be an improvement on Clarke, so I’m pleased with that one. Poleon doesn’t excite me in the slightest – he couldn’t get into the Wimbledon side regularly and the fact that their supporters opinions on him coming range from apathy to amusement, is probably telling.

I think we’ve lost a bit of leadership. McArdle was a natural leader. Cullen led by example in terms of performance – he was a 7 or 8 out of 10 minimum, every game. And he always showed for the ball, he never hid. Forget his goal tally for a moment; he’ll be missed in terms of the control he gave to our game. Marshall is another who led by his performance – in games where we needed to get going, he was the outlet and could be relied on to get us 40 yards up the pitch. We may have recruited youth and pace but I don’t think we’ve brought anyone in who’ll give us what he gave us.

We’ve turned over a large portion of the squad, which can be unsettling. And the squad is younger – if we have a bad start, the make-up of the squad is typical of those who struggle to recover. And Stuart is great when things are going well but he’s not the sort of manager who can turn things around when the chips are down. So a poor start would be very worrying and somewhat ominous.

Next, I look at the recruitment that other clubs have undertaken and I think the league will be stronger than last year.

And finally, you can read into the speculation that’s clouded the club through the summer or not. But I think it’s clear that things haven’t been well between manager and owner - And that’s leaving aside the bits I’ve heard from people I trust. Things seem to have been patched over but I worry that the underlying rift, or reasons for the rift, remain.

All in all, a bad start and the pressure it would bring would expose the weaknesses I see and could very well be the end of Stuart’s tenure.

Glass half full, maybe. All the bits could slot into place and we could have a great season. But the above is not exactly beyond the realms of fantasy.
Just when you thought C&B was on its last legs you get this thing of beauty

For me I just don't know this year and that drives the pessimistic in me. However one chink of light is my faith in the owners and management team, as for the signings, nothing excites me but you never know,. All the talk of Chickson, Reeves and McCarten but it wouldn't surprise me to see the unexpected happen this year ie The young lad Omar is a revelation or Greer turns out to rock solid or Taylor rediscoveres the form that made him a 1.4 million pound footballer

Hopefully it's all of the above

Top post 147

Heaton Bantam

I`ll die before I`m 25, I lived the way I wanted
C&B Member
May 19, 2013
Lives in Wilsden, Heart in Heaton
www.ratemypoo.co.uk
Of those coming down I think Wigan will adjust best. Rotherham will be lucky to halt the slide back where they belong (L2) and Blackburn may have thrown cash at it but even a lottery win won't make up for having the kings of minced chicken in the boardroom and Tony Mowbray in the dugouts.

Coming up I think with Kenny Jacket Potato in charge Portsmouth will do well, but Doncaster have Darren Ferguson, a serial under performer at L1 level and Plymouth are bang average. Can't even recall who won the playoffs so they must really worry me.

Of our contenders last year, Fleetwood overachieved and won't repeat it. Scunthorpe have lost Crooks, Dawson & Toney. Morris was pants from Jan onwards and Madden looked nothing special, Millwall are gone, Rochdale will always be thereabouts but have lost Vincenti, Bury will do what Bury always do - spend loads and bomb out, especially with that fucking idiot in charge. Southend are tough but I'm not worried about them, they caught us on our worst day. MKD and Charlton will kick on but not enough. The rest are mid table.

C - Wigan
R/u - Bradford City

P/offs - Portsmouth, Rochdale, MK Dons, Charlton
Down - Rotherham, Bury, Oldham, whoever won the play offs

Bradford Bullmastiff

Bullmastiffs- in good hands, we are adorable
C&B Member
Jan 28, 2009
Bradford
Of those coming down I think Wigan will adjust best. Rotherham will be lucky to halt the slide back where they belong (L2) and Blackburn may have thrown cash at it but even a lottery win won't make up for having the kings of minced chicken in the boardroom and Tony Mowbray in the dugouts.

Coming up I think with Kenny Jacket Potato in charge Portsmouth will do well, but Doncaster have Darren Ferguson, a serial under performer at L1 level and Plymouth are bang average. Can't even recall who won the playoffs so they must really worry me.

Of our contenders last year, Fleetwood overachieved and won't repeat it. Scunthorpe have lost Crooks, Dawson & Toney. Morris was pants from Jan onwards and Madden looked nothing special, Millwall are gone, Rochdale will always be thereabouts but have lost Vincenti, Bury will do what Bury always do - spend loads and bomb out, especially with that fucking idiot in charge. Southend are tough but I'm not worried about them, they caught us on our worst day. MKD and Charlton will kick on but not enough. The rest are mid table.

C - Wigan
R/u - Bradford City

Blackpool won the POs and I agree they may struggle.

But that's probably where our agreement ends. Personally, I think Wigan and Blackburn will be there or thereabouts. I also think you're wrong in relation to Scunny and Fleetwood. Both have improved areas where they were weakest last season and I fully expect them to be challenging again.

I fancy Bury to be the surprise challengers this season. They've bought well and regardless of what you think of him, Clarke will get them firing.

I also can't see Charlton and MKD having poor seasons again and along with Pompey will be another 3 sides up and around the chasing pack.

To suggest we will finish 2nd is a case of heart overruling head I'm afraid.

May 5, 2013
Blackpool won the POs and I agree they may struggle.

But that's probably where our agreement ends. Personally, I think Wigan and Blackburn will be there or thereabouts. I also think you're wrong in relation to Scunny and Fleetwood. Both have improved areas where they were weakest last season and I fully expect them to be challenging again.

I fancy Bury to be the surprise challengers this season. They've bought well and regardless of what you think of him, Clarke will get them firing.

I also can't see Charlton and MKD having poor seasons again and along with Pompey will be another 3 sides up and around the chasing pack.

To suggest we will finish 2nd is a case of heart overruling head I'm afraid.
all true - and you haven't even mentioned southend who have kept their squad so far and strengthened, or Northampton who've been taken over and spending cash, or posh who are always strong !

Heaton Bantam

C&B Member
May 19, 2013
www.ratemypoo.co.uk
all true - and you haven't even mentioned southend who have kept their squad so far and strengthened, or Northampton who've been taken over and spending cash, or posh who are always strong !
Posh & Northampton fall under midtable for me and southend "Southend are tough but I'm not worried about them"

Heaton Bantam

C&B Member
May 19, 2013
www.ratemypoo.co.uk
Too much going on in the background at Northampton for the takeover to be effective. There are still potential fraud investigations that will de-stabilise them. Posh hire and fire too often and I think Barry Fry has lost his ability to spot the up and coming assombalonga's.

Jul 15, 2017
Bradford
Southend top 6 anybody? Think in Phil brown they have one of the better managers, but it's going to be a cracking season I hope for all the right reasons, and if we're in the running come January, then I believe Stuart will be backed again.

Apr 4, 2013

C - Wigan
R/u - Bradford City

Heaton, genuinely interested why you have such optimism to predict auto's ?

Bradford Bullmastiff

Bullmastiffs- in good hands, we are adorable
C&B Member
Jan 28, 2009
Bradford
Heaton, genuinely interested why you have such optimism to predict auto's ?
I asked the same (but think I must be on 'ignore')

This is what I find amusing the most. If you criticise players X, Y and Z. You're shot down for judging them without seeing them play.

Yet the same people hold those same players up as shining lights. Despite not having seen them either.

Last edited: