Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

From what ive read about Southends defense...

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Petta, Bridge-Wilko and Deano will be looking forward to Tuesday night. Visited a couple of Southend forums and from what i've seen on various posts their defense was very sluggish and slow to react against Port Vale attacks. Southend fans were complaining that their defense was constantly leaving men unmarked and everyone going forward seemed to have ten yards of space. To top it off they say their entire team played diabolically in the first half and looked completely out of their depth against Port Vale. They improved in the second half and almost got back into the game.

Apparantly their weakest position so far seems to be Duncan Jupp at RIGHT BACK who they claim is not good enough for league 1 (he was also voted Wimbledons worst ever player, imagine a Jason Gavin at right back) I predict a good game for Bobby Petta :D

With Freddy Eastwood and Shaun Goater looking likely to play in their attack it seems their attack will be by far the strongest part of their team, they also have quick wingers.

It seems obvious what we need to do then? NOT sit back, instead strike quickly and try and stun them like we did against Brentford at home last year. Get Bridge Wilko and Petta linking up nicely and have Petta bombing down the left straight on past Jupp. Their fans have often critisized their centerbacks for being too slow so it seems an ideal time to play Cadders?

Come on City, a repeat of the Brentford game please!

sunwinman

C&B Member
May 29, 2005
Sound like a good game in store The Goat can still get goals but if he is not used to the team, he may not get service,I have confidence in our back four.:p

G

Is it me or do our back four seem to have the most trouble when someone is running at them? If a team are lofting long balls up to two strikers it doesnt seem to matter how big they are they still struggle to penetrate our defense.

However when a good dribbler is ripping into them Wetherall doesnt quite have the pace to stop them anymore and Holloway does not really have the ability nevermind pace.

Tom Kearney is not the slowest of people and with his good tackling and grafting in midfield he is the one to break up these mazy runs from the opposition this season? I fear Crooks would be too slow to do that.

gaza75

C&B Member
May 19, 2005
just hope Todd has learned the lessons of last season when so called poor teams where made to look like Brazil .

sunwinman

C&B Member
May 29, 2005
I think we are in a new era,, I am not getting carried away either, this is a team that Todd has built, trained and coached, I believe in him and recon that its gonna be a good season,if I am wrong , at the end of the season I will hold up my hand,hold it up where I'm not saying...........lol

May 18, 2005
This game is a far bigger test of how far we have come since last season than the Hartlepool one. We always seemed to lose concentration against the so called "smaller clubs" so if we keep our shape and pick up points against these teams we should have a decent chance of the playoff this season.

Southend will not be a walk over though especially with losing the first game, but now we have to build momentum off the back a great win.

gaza75

C&B Member
May 19, 2005
i just hope we get after them straight away it worked against Brentford and Bournemouth that was our problem last season we let poor teams have two much of the early play.I just can't fooking wait roll on Tuesday
COME ON CITY COME ON CITY COME ON CITY

G
'we dont need to imagine we once had Edds'

Speaking off which he will come face to face with a proper left winger when we meet the MK Dons on Saturday.

G
i hope they're doin a lot of defending,
but jupp and prior played well in the play-off against lincoln...
watch out for freddie eastwood who could still be thinking about beating lincoln and possibly playing them next year

Status
Not open for further replies.