Hanson Thread! Hanson Out!

Discussion in 'City Talk' started by Bob 'Lounge pants' fossil, Nov 5, 2016.

?

Should we offer Hanson a new contract?

1. Definitely yes

2. Definitely no

3. Yes but on less money

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. pomfretbantam

C&B Full Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 3 / -9
    Favourite Player:
    Lee Sinnot for my sins
    First Game:
    Where is Jamie Proctor now, where are these players that would easily replace Hanson. I am more than happy to accept that there are better players out there, but we don't have them and until we do we have Hanson.

2. Bigrod

C&B Member

'Wanna be' Mega Euro Lottery Winner
    Ratings:
    +5,229 / 192 / -234
    Favourite Player:
    Dickie Bond
    First Game:
    Cannot recall
    Bolton! Twenty six appearances this season, half from the bench. Two yellow cards and ONE solitary goal! http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=52386

So on that basis, far poorer return than Hanson!!

3. nickloza

nickloza Usual Suspect
    C&B Full Member

Ratings:
    +3,324 / 144 / -215
    Favourite Player:
    Stuart McCall
    First Game:
    City v Torquay 1976 City 3 Torquay 1
    Proctor was signed by PP at Bolton because he obviously rated him. The same PP that rated Hanson.

4. Hobhead

Hobhead Usual Suspect.
    C&B Full Member

Ratings:
    +3,305 / 108 / -203
    Favourite Player:
    Roy Race
    First Game:
    vs Fulchester Utd FC
    He left us. By choice. And now the player that took Jim's spot can't get a sniff of Bolton's first team and is almost universally derided by the club's support. See, you're making my case for me.

You didn't seem too happy to accept it when you were demanding they be identified.

And that's the crux of the matter. That Hanson is what we have is what some of us see as a problem that needs rectifying. For others he's a legend fully deserving of his spot ahead of all comers.

5. Hobhead

Hobhead Usual Suspect.
    C&B Full Member

Ratings:
    +3,305 / 108 / -203
    Favourite Player:
    Roy Race
    First Game:
    vs Fulchester Utd FC
    See my other post. The fact that Proctor's not great only reinforces how easily replaceable Hanson is.

6. RogerTart

RogerTart Usual Suspect
    C&B Full Member

Ratings:
    +10,321 / 445 / -818
    Favourite Player:
    James Hanson
    First Game:
    And yet, when both played for the same club, Proctor was first choice.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. pomfretbantam

C&B Full Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 3 / -9
    Favourite Player:
    Lee Sinnot for my sins
    First Game:
    I won't be doing the circular dance with you hobhead, I am not the person that said he was easily replaced you were. There is a better player for every single member of our squad so that's not really a contradictory statement from me. Your stretching things a little there, since Bronco departed I don't recall seeing anybody offering the opinion he must play no matter what.

8. Bigrod

C&B Member

'Wanna be' Mega Euro Lottery Winner
    Ratings:
    +5,229 / 192 / -234
    Favourite Player:
    Dickie Bond
    First Game:
    Cannot recall
    I just stated bald facts in response to @pomfret's question.

The old 'benefit with hindsight' power does not work for me. For instance I never thought Aaron Wilbraham would score as many goals, as he did following his brief spell at VP, or that Louis Moult, would become a Scottish Messi!

9. Hobhead

Hobhead Usual Suspect.
    C&B Full Member

Ratings:
    +3,305 / 108 / -203
    Favourite Player:
    Roy Race
    First Game:
    vs Fulchester Utd FC
    I know, I'm standing by it.

I realise this but to me Jim is our biggest weak link these days but he's also the player who seems to be front of the queue when the first team spots are being handed out. He also very rarely gets dropped and never gets subbed. His lack of ability and huge amount of game time is what makes him the weakest link in our team for me. Since it looks like this will only change when he leaves then that's what I want - Jim gone.

You might call it, 'stretching things', I call it exaggerating to illustrate a point :).

Besides, in Jim's defence we're constantly being told that numerous managers have offered that opinion by seeing him as automatic, first choice forward and, furthermore, that theirs is the only opinion that matters. Again, since this state of affairs looks set to continue then I'm hoping Rahic steps in and rids us of this troublesome beast.

10. pomfretbantam

C&B Full Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 3 / -9
    Favourite Player:
    Lee Sinnot for my sins
    First Game:
    Well with a new striker and BC back soon we have alternatives so maybe you won't see Jim being an automatic start. For me though he is still a useful player that gives us something different and is worth a place in the squad.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. knightmccall

C&B Full Member

Money
    Ratings:
    +5,606 / 256 / -415
    Favourite Player:
    Barry Gallagher
    First Game:
    V Halifax Town 1981
    I don't think there is a single poster who wouldn't accept an upgrade. The main two sides are those that appreciate Hanson for what he is and what he has done but would be happy to see an upgrade if and when that happens (but accept that he is important based on our squad right now) and those who constantly slate him no matter what and try to claim he is the worst footballer ever to wear C&A....aka The Usual Suspects.

12. RogerTart

RogerTart Usual Suspect
    C&B Full Member

Ratings:
    +10,321 / 445 / -818
    Favourite Player:
    James Hanson
    First Game:
    I raise you Mick Duxbury, Darren Treacy and Barry Conlon.

Then Hanson....

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tawheed Ali

Tawheed Ali Usual Suspect
    C&B Full Member

Ratings:
    +5,170 / 287 / -400
    Favourite Player:
    -
    First Game:
    Hereford
    Hanson wouldn't get half the stick he gets if he didn't start every game when he's fit. Goal scoring has been a major issue for us over the years and personally I find it frustrating that a player who has played a major part in our lack of goals is still considered first choice when he's fit. Is he a terrible player? No he isn't but I can't wait for the day when he isn't the first name on the team sheet. If the other striker we bring in isn't a major upgrade on Hanson we will continue to struggle Imo. Even with the current strikers we have available, Hiwula has twice as many goals as him and Jones is supposed to be a good finisher so if he continues to start games it would be disappointing Imo. It will be interesting to see our points average with and without Hanson this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Hobhead

Hobhead Usual Suspect.
    C&B Full Member

Ratings:
    +3,305 / 108 / -203
    Favourite Player:
    Roy Race
    First Game:
    vs Fulchester Utd FC
    I disagree. I think there are posters for whom secretly that's exactly what they don't want. They are so utterly devoted to The Cult Of Hanson that they want Jim in regardless of whether or not he's the best option. You can see posters on here denigrating everyone from the competition for his spot, the players supplying him with 'substandard crosses' right down to the defence who require his help so much it stops him doing his own job.

So blindly do they love Wee Jim they'll slag off every other player in the team in order to defend him. Ironically they're often the first to then turn around and lambast 'Hanson Bashers' for 'negativity' and implore them to 'get behind the lad, he's been a great servant who always gives his all ffs'.

What about those of us who appreciate what he has done but are singularly unimpressed with what he is now? So far has he slid that I honestly no longer see this seemingly unquantifiable worth that I'm constantly being told he has. His nett contribution to a game is now so minimal that he's actually become a hindrance and often it's this 'appreciation for what he's done' and this irrational attachment to some ridiculous notion of a 'fairytale' that blinds his acolytes to what he's become.

If Jim weren't a local lad and he was starting afresh, with no everlasting Villa/Leeds/Burton credit in the bank I suspect many of even the most firmly grasping of nuthuggers might just see a different player.

15. Clayton

Ratings:
    +13,771 / 237 / -628
    Favourite Player:
    McCall
    First Game:
    I looked the other day and our points average is miles worse with Hanson.

However by coincidence. Apart from Fleetwood we have only played relegation candidates when Hanson isn't in the team so we would be expected to beat those sides whether he played or not

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    #795 Clayton, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  16. Clayton

Ratings:
    +13,771 / 237 / -628
    Favourite Player:
    McCall
    First Game:
    Think you're so wrong.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  17. Hobhead

Hobhead Usual Suspect.
    C&B Full Member

Ratings:
    +3,305 / 108 / -203
    Favourite Player:
    Roy Race
    First Game:
    vs Fulchester Utd FC
    Brevity just doesn't suit you, Clayton :)

18. RogerTart

RogerTart Usual Suspect
    C&B Full Member

Ratings:
    +10,321 / 445 / -818
    Favourite Player:
    James Hanson
    First Game:
    That means he agrees with you.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. Clayton

Ratings:
    +13,771 / 237 / -628
    Favourite Player:
    McCall
    First Game:
    I know. It's a long post you did but I think the premise of it is basically wrong. I don't think people who support Hanson are nuthuggers or living off past glory. Some just think he's currently better than the alternatives (Jones excepted because I haven't seen much of him)

You seem to just classify everyone with the same 'Hanson blindness' as Bronco often displayed but very few posters make the points you claim.

20. Hobhead

Hobhead Usual Suspect.
    C&B Full Member

Ratings:
    +3,305 / 108 / -203
    Favourite Player:
    Roy Race
    First Game:
    vs Fulchester Utd FC
    I'll be honest, I really struggle with it all. I struggle to reconcile what I see the vast majority of the times he plays with the devotion he inspires.

I'm down to two explanations:

1. People are caught up in the 'romance' of it all. Local boy done good. Watching him go from the Co-op to Wembley etc has given them so much pleasure they'll love him forever regardless.

2. I'm wrong and he's actually a decent, if not good, player.

Taking into account that I'm never wrong and that only leaves us with No. 1. :D