Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hanson Thread! Hanson Out!

Should we offer Hanson a new contract?

• Definitely yes

• Definitely no

• Yes but on less money

Results are only viewable after voting.

Clayton

Jan 8, 2010
I'll be honest, I really struggle with it all. I struggle to reconcile what I see the vast majority of the times he plays with the devotion he inspires.

I'm down to two explanations:

1. People are caught up in the 'romance' of it all. Local boy done good. Watching him go from the Co-op to Wembley etc has given them so much pleasure they'll love him forever regardless.

2. I'm wrong and he's actually a decent, if not good, player.

Taking into account that I'm never wrong and that only leaves us with No. 1. :D
3) he's an average player who often does 'okay' and no matter how hard we try to upgrade we never seem to do it.

Nothing to do with local. Nothing to do with the Co-op. Nothing to do with Villa. Nothing to do with the story. Just that he isn't as poor in some people's eyes in comparison to the alternatives as you believe him to be.

You view it as devotion but it really isn't.

Aug 3, 2013
I looked the other day and our points average is miles worse without Hanson.

However by coincidence. Apart from Fleetwood we have only played relegation candidates when Hanson isn't in the team so we would be expected to beat those sides whether he played or not
Iv'e just been on the BBC Sport website and I've looked at our total points tally when Hanson starts and when he doesn't (league games only) Here are the stats:

When Hanson starts-
Played 14
Points-22
Average points per games- 1.57

When Hanson doesn't start-
Played-13
Points-26
Average points per game-2

I don't know which one but I mistakenly counted a cup game in there which is why the total amounts to 27 games when it should be 26 but even then your statement is incorrect.

Clayton

Jan 8, 2010
Iv'e just been on the BBC Sport website and I've looked at our total points tally when Hanson starts and when he doesn't (league games only) Here are the stats:

When Hanson starts-
Played 14
Points-22
Average points per games- 1.57

When Hanson doesn't start-
Played-13
Points-26
Average points per game-2

I don't know which one but I mistakenly counted a cup game in there which is why the total amounts to 27 games when it should be 26 but even then your statement is incorrect.
I know and reading my post back I worded it wrongly, apologies. I was aware it's worse with Hanson. I will amend the previous post.

The second bit was supposed to clarify why it's so much worse. The teams we've played without Hanson are all relegation candidates.

RogerTart

Usual Suspect
C&B Full Member
Jan 23, 2013
Clayton
I know and reading my post back I worded it wrongly, apologies. I was aware it's worse with Hanson. I will amend the previous post.

The second bit was supposed to clarify why it's so much worse. The teams we've played without Hanson are all relegation candidates.
Blimey. Never thought I'd live to see a Clayton retraction.

Nick_W_

C&B Member
Feb 12, 2013
Eccleshill

All? Fleetwood?

Clayton

Jan 8, 2010
All was a slight exaggeration but of the games he's missed they included;

Coventry 24th
Oldham - 23rd
Chesterfield (twice) - 22nd
Bury - 21st
Shrewsbury - 20th
MK Dons - 17th
Gillingham - 16th
Northampton - 15th
Oxford 12th
Millwall - 11th

That includes 6 games against the bottom 5. In comparison we only played 3 games against the top 10.

Everybody should be able to look at those teams and expect to get results which are better than the average.

Not saying the points per game are wrong but there are other factors which don't make it a straight like-for-like comparison.

Nick_W_

C&B Member
Feb 12, 2013
Eccleshill
All was a slight exaggeration but of the 13 games he's missed they included;

MK Dons - 17th
Coventry 24th
Oldham - 23rd
Millwall - 11th
Gillingham - 16th
Chesterfield (X2) - 22nd
Bury - 21st
Shrewsbury - 20th
Oxford 12th
Northampton - 15th

That includes 6 games against the bottom 5. In comparison on we only played 3 games against the top 10.

Everybody should be able to look at those list of teams and expect to get results which are better than the average.

Not saying the points per game are wrong but there are other factors which don't make it a straight like-for-like comparison.
OK, there's a lesson for the learning. Don't exaggerate.

Feb 4, 2013
140 plays 67 votes at the moment in favour of giving Hanson a new contract. No Hansexit then, might need a different title though, it sounds a little crude.

Can we close this thread now, pleeeeaaaasssse!

Kevin1954

C&B Member
May 10, 2013
Closer to Wembley than most of you!
I actually agree. And that's the crux of it for me. My criticism of Hanson isn't so much aimed at Hanson himself. I think he's a pretty average league 2 standard target man, and performs as such.

My frustration is aimed more at the fact that he continues to be peddled as a central and key figure for a club that aspires to more. And despite the ample evidence to the contrary, some continue to insist that he IS the answer to a long standing equation that he's been central to.

Parkinson did some great things for us. But he couldn't spot a striker for love nor money. Defenders? Yeah. Midfielders? Yeah. Need to get the players pumped and working hard, the man for the underdog in a cup tie and the man to instil a long since departed work ethic and team spirit? Absolutely. But the man to get you goals and recruit/coach talented forwards? Never. He had the opportunity; funds from exceptional cup runs, promotion and the sale of Wells provided resource to bring in effective forwards. Instead he handed Hanson a lucrative contract and continued to build a strike force around him. And so, despite being limited, he HAS been the best we've had up to now. Which isn't his fault but is 100% the problem. A problem which we now seem willing and able to solve.
Great post and highly accurate

Kevin1954

C&B Member
May 10, 2013
Closer to Wembley than most of you!
I disagree. I think there are posters for whom secretly that's exactly what they don't want. They are so utterly devoted to The Cult Of Hanson that they want Jim in regardless of whether or not he's the best option. You can see posters on here denigrating everyone from the competition for his spot, the players supplying him with 'substandard crosses' right down to the defence who require his help so much it stops him doing his own job.

So blindly do they love Wee Jim they'll slag off every other player in the team in order to defend him. Ironically they're often the first to then turn around and lambast 'Hanson Bashers' for 'negativity' and implore them to 'get behind the lad, he's been a great servant who always gives his all ffs'.

What about those of us who appreciate what he has done but are singularly unimpressed with what he is now? So far has he slid that I honestly no longer see this seemingly unquantifiable worth that I'm constantly being told he has. His nett contribution to a game is now so minimal that he's actually become a hindrance and often it's this 'appreciation for what he's done' and this irrational attachment to some ridiculous notion of a 'fairytale' that blinds his acolytes to what he's become.

If Jim weren't a local lad and he was starting afresh, with no everlasting Villa/Leeds/Burton credit in the bank I suspect many of even the most firmly grasping of nuthuggers might just see a different player.
Absolutely cracking analogy of the situation. Well said HH

Hobhead

Usual Suspect.
C&B Member
Jun 22, 2013
140 plays 67 votes at the moment in favour of giving Hanson a new contract. No Hansexit then, might need a different title though, it sounds a little crude.

I suppose it's all about how you present the data. Another way of looking at it is out of 215 votes cast 132 either want him gone or given a paycut. :)

Hobhead

Usual Suspect.
C&B Member
Jun 22, 2013
3) he's an average player who often does 'okay' and no matter how hard we try to upgrade we never seem to do it.

Nothing to do with local. Nothing to do with the Co-op. Nothing to do with Villa. Nothing to do with the story. Just that he isn't as poor in some people's eyes in comparison to the alternatives as you believe him to be.

You view it as devotion but it really isn't.
Do you not accept that Hanson benefits from defenders who are anomalously more dogged for his benefit than for any other player?

Edit: as I type this example has just hit the board:
https://claretandbanter.uk/threads/...nuary-2017-window.51357/page-131#post-1133978
It's got the lot; a little pop at his competition (Jones), a plea to not replace him (by signing ALF) and the customary vague reasons for hanging onto the security blanket of choice, 'kids know his name' and the most telling of all, 'he IS the club'. This, to me, is very strange and yet it's not uncommon. And it's only for Jim. It simply has to be something else other than simple ability or lack thereof.

Last edited:

Bob 'Lounge pants' fossil

Usual Suspect
C&B Member
May 16, 2013
Bradford

No, we get shouted at for turning other threads into a hanson debate. this is our hanson bashing safe space and we need it!

Bantam147

Usual Biscuits
C&B Member
Sep 13, 2008
For all the polarised debate, I think 95-99% of us are actually saying the same thing in very different ways.

Is James Hanson the best out and out striker we have? Yes (excluding Alex Jones, upon whom it's far too early to pass judgement, and excluding Billy Clarke who I don't consider to be an out and out striker).

Is James Hanson any good? No not really. That's the main reason why we've consistently been among the lowest scorers in the division.

We need better, the owners and management team are on record as saying we need better and we're working to recruit better. When we have better we should look better as a side and score more goals.

The rest is just noise. My take on it is that very few people are actually asserting that he's a quality footballer at this level, but that's the view I really struggle to understand. And the fact that he's paid very handsomely rubs salt into the wound because we should be seeing a quality footballer for the sort of wage bracket and automatic starting profile that seems to come with him.

Wannda

C&B Member
Aug 11, 2014
I disagree. I think there are posters for whom secretly that's exactly what they don't want. They are so utterly devoted to The Cult Of Hanson that they want Jim in regardless of whether or not he's the best option. You can see posters on here denigrating everyone from the competition for his spot, the players supplying him with 'substandard crosses' right down to the defence who require his help so much it stops him doing his own job.

So blindly do they love Wee Jim they'll slag off every other player in the team in order to defend him. Ironically they're often the first to then turn around and lambast 'Hanson Bashers' for 'negativity' and implore them to 'get behind the lad, he's been a great servant who always gives his all ffs'.

What about those of us who appreciate what he has done but are singularly unimpressed with what he is now? So far has he slid that I honestly no longer see this seemingly unquantifiable worth that I'm constantly being told he has. His nett contribution to a game is now so minimal that he's actually become a hindrance and often it's this 'appreciation for what he's done' and this irrational attachment to some ridiculous notion of a 'fairytale' that blinds his acolytes to what he's become.

If Jim weren't a local lad and he was starting afresh, with no everlasting Villa/Leeds/Burton credit in the bank I suspect many of even the most firmly grasping of nuthuggers might just see a different player.
Agree