Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

I'd give CT a break today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loyalish2

C&B Member
Jul 6, 2005
Near Bratfud
Ok, the general consensus of opinion is that Cadders and Petta played on the wrong wings, but even if they did, don't you think that two players of their ability are capable of better than they showed? That apart the players were so poor it's hard to blame CT for anything today.

Misen I was quite happy with the first half, two disallowed goals and some neat and tidy play from Claridge kept me hopeful. The second half however was a different story. I'm not quite sure what happened, but Claridge never got the ball to feet and without that the second half was a total non-event. Todd could have changed the formation ten times and made fifteen substitutions, the fact of the matter is nearly every player wearing City colours played very, VERY, badly. I'm loathe to criticise player these days, but no team could win a game with a central midfield partnership playing as pish poorly as ours did in the second half today. I'm sorry, but Kearney and Smythe were fookin' rhubarb. I doubt either of them would have been able to trap a medicine ball and if it had a blue shirt on, they passed to it.

I'm not interested in the whys and wherefores, you can blame the manager all you want, as far as I'm concerned that's a side issue. All I know is that after a performance like that today the players need to take a long hard look in the mirror, because quite frankly they were a disgrace to the shirt. :(

City MotM

1st half - Claridge 7.5
2nd half - Stewart 6.5 (Not bad, not bad at all. Well done that man.)

briggus

C&B Member
May 27, 2005
Brighouse
yes loyalish the players some of the time seem to just go through the motions! They lack sparkle, energy and in some cases a football brain - as I have said - I have yet to see the team play well as a unit and I thought we have been weak in midfield all season. Something I thought we would be when he was bringing in this seasons crop of players. Central midfield is sadly lacking for big chunks of the game - and it is a rare occurance when one gets beyond the strikers.

Something needs to be done if we are going to make any progress -this season it is like waiting for someone to turn the light switch on - for me nothing as really clicked this season. Is it just the players, is it the coaches and the tatics? The full backs do not get forward enough neither - CT is a little too negative at times - with out fowards whose strengths are in the air we need to get to the bye line more - but our wide men and full backs do not appear to be able to do this on a regular basis.
The league is tight this season which may mean a team may will require an high total in order not to not get relegated and the promotion teams might go up with a lower total than normal. It is a pity we have not been able to produce a decent team this season as we would have had a chance of some success and decent home performances. rant over...........

Mallorcabantam

Torquemada ¿Que Haces?
C&B Member
May 18, 2005
Mallorca, Spain
I was of the opinion that the players were at fault, but I am now leaning towards the man who picks them and gives the tactical orders.
I still hope CT can turn it around --- But.... the buck has to stop somewhere, Luton showed how to loose today --- and I bet their suporters were damm proud of them

Loyalish2

C&B Member
Jul 6, 2005
Near Bratfud
I think you're missing the point Mallorca. Regardless of tactics, state of mind, in-fighting, formations, you name it, today in the second half the team was so technically inept none of it mattered.

I've played football after falling out with the manager while both injured and hungover, but as pish poor as I was I reckon I still managed to control the football and pass it to a team-mate at least five times out of ten. Unfortunately even something as simple as that was beyond our lads today.

I'll admit that things behind the scenes might not be all sweetness and light and some of the players might not be happy with their lot. But these blokes play football for a livng and train everyday so whatever their mindset you'd think they'd be capable of at least getting the basics right 50% of the time. If they can't do it for the likes of my eight year old lad who idolises 'em they should at least think about their family and friends...

Thinking about it none of that should matter should it? Personal pride should be all the motivation they need, and if that isn't enough they might as well pack up and become bin men. :(

Mallorcabantam

Torquemada ¿Que Haces?
C&B Member
May 18, 2005
Mallorca, Spain
That’s exactly how I felt about team performances Loyalish, but, and I am reluctant to change my stance, the bad performance days and lack of effort seem to happen too often (so those who go to the games say) that I have to start to think that it must be down to management skills --- that scrappy 1-0 win for Chesterfield would have gone down well for their supporters yesterday.
At the start of the season we had a team of div 1 winners, now the same players are slipping down the table – slowly but surely – why – is it the players or managements fault???

lino

C&B Member
May 25, 2005
BD17
Loyalish2 said:
I think you're missing the point Mallorca. Regardless of tactics, state of mind, in-fighting, formations, you name it, today in the second half the team was so technically inept none of it mattered.

I've played football after falling out with the manager while both injured and hungover, but as pish poor as I was I reckon I still managed to control the football and pass it to a team-mate at least five times out of ten. Unfortunately even something as simple as that was beyond our lads today.

I'll admit that things behind the scenes might not be all sweetness and light and some of the players might not be happy with their lot. But these blokes play football for a livng and train everyday so whatever their mindset you'd think they'd be capable of at least getting the basics right 50% of the time. If they can't do it for the likes of my eight year old lad who idolises 'em they should at least think about their family and friends...

Thinking about it none of that should matter should it? Personal pride should be all the motivation they need, and if that isn't enough they might as well pack up and become bin men. :(

As long as they don't end up emptying my bins!

G
IMO its not Todds tactical ineptness thats costing us....its his inability to make decent signings.

Talking to Swindon, Derby and Bolton fans it was the same when he managed them, they seem to think tactically he was alright (Bolton fans even said he was too attack minded) but say his signings were woeful and that he basically filled the squad with wasters, journeymen and tinners who basically didnt give a crap.

The Master

Wannabee Toff with a cheeky smile
C&B Donator
May 20, 2005
BD19
There's no other option for JR really , he needs to get rid of Turd and Davison now and apppoint someone who can grab hold of the players and get them playing with more passion and purpose - an experienced man maybe like Ternent who is kicking his heels not far from here.
Another one would be for us to go for someone like Beagrie who has a clause in his contract allowing him to leave for a management role - his appointment would create some interest and excitement at least and he is still up to playing and how we need someone like him ! .

G
'If CT goes we need a proven manager.
If not its like signing Big Don to play up front because we all like him & hes tall'

I can see where your coming from Mallorca but i disagree. We need a young and up + coming manager not an experienced 'proven' manager.

Todd is an old school experienced proven manager but as a result he isnt dynamic enough or inventive enough for the modern game.

Granted theres a risk when appointing young managers but if you make the right choice then it payes off big time, looke at Luton with Mike Newell or Adie Boothroyd at Watford.

On the surface McCall appears to be a good candidate for a manager. We know he must have the coaching skills otherwise he wouldnt be in charge of coaching the team at Sheffield United. We know he has the ability to motivate the players and wont tolerate any slackers. He's worked with some of the best and no doubt will be learning a thing or two from Neil Warnock.

The time is right and IMO he would return, he has said in the press that he wants to get into management sooner rather than later, were a mid table league 1 team with little chance of been promoted or relegated. The fans will be patient with him and give him plenty of time. Lets put it this way he'd be hard pressed to make the side any worse and we'd see some gutsy performances for a change.

Ranger, just ask yourself who's team that was on the pitch yesterday?
75% of the team were CT signing's, he choose the tactic's & formation & had the job of getting his players "up" for the challenge but yet again failed miserably on all count's:mad:
I understand your point about the player's been inept in the 2nd half, but surely this & other similar performances this season is the result of almost 2 years of bad man-management by CT?
He has singlehandedly upset most the 1st team with his public outbursts to the press, upset the players with his un-believable team selections(Horrorway), & tried to blame just about everyone & everything other than himself for our poor form at VP!:mad:
On top of that he almost caused a harmful rift between the fans & players with his critisism of the VP faithfull, who to be honest have been more than restrained with the crap served up there under his leadership!
So yes Ranger, I do blame the manager, the only break i'd give him is his neck!!!:eek: :D

Wahki Nells

Wahki Nells
C&B Member
May 28, 2005
Ranger, just ask yourself who's team that was on the pitch yesterday?
75% of the team were CT signing's, he choose the tactic's & formation & had the job of getting his players "up" for the challenge but yet again failed miserably on all count's
I understand your point about the player's been inept in the 2nd half, but surely this & other similar performances this season is the result of almost 2 years of bad man-management by CT?
He has singlehandedly upset most the 1st team with his public outbursts to the press, upset the players with his un-believable team selections(Horrorway), & tried to blame just about everyone & everything other than himself for our poor form at VP!
On top of that he almost caused a harmful rift between the fans & players with his critisism of the VP faithfull, who to be honest have been more than restrained with the crap served up there under his leadership!
So yes Ranger, I do blame the manager, the only break i'd give him is his neck!!!
couldn't of put it better myself! well said - show it to todd though, see what shite ecuse he comes up with
"your nitpicking, i have excelent players - holloway for 1, muirhead another"

bg

C&B Member
May 19, 2005
in many ways Ranger is right. Players do have personal responsiblity to play to their very best every single time they put on the claret and amber. However, if managers don't influence and support players in doing just that, what is point in having them at all?

I didn't go yesterday, and I am not going to anyway matches until things improve. The other half has supported city for nye on 40 years, and this is the VERY first time I have heard him say to me, that he is not going to VP until Todd does one!!! Now I have now way of knowing if he is going to go through with that, but such is his utter disbelief at the tactics and the display of the players.

If JR doesn't sack him very soon it will start to effect season ticket sales, and that is this clubs lifeline, without a sunstantial input in March this club finances could well be in jeopardy yet again.

Mallorcabantam

Torquemada ¿Que Haces?
C&B Member
May 18, 2005
Mallorca, Spain
If ---- If CT goes, think of the managers we have had since PJ, all did nothing, it will be JRs bigest dicision, this club could fall with the wrong choice.
Whatever JR decides to do, keep CT or get someone else in or a club man, JR will have my support.
I still hope city could have a clearing of the air and get back on track, we looked good at the start of the season and since then there have been only a few flashes of what could be, I hope it gets turned around, but time is passing by

The Master

Wannabee Toff with a cheeky smile
C&B Donator
May 20, 2005
BD19
I think there is little alternative but to sack the management duo , nothing in the way of progress has been made this season despite more financial stability than the previous 3 seasons.
When you have loyal hardcore fans saying enough is enough then it would be unwise to ignore the calls.
I will not be buying a season ticket on what i have seen this season , and it was my intention to buy for 06/07.

enoch

C&B Member
May 28, 2005
Bradistan
looking at the Todd situation I think it is going to be impossible for Julian to sack him because of the 5 year contract Todd (and probably Davison) has in his pocket, but what we could do is bring someone in to "work alongside him" like when El Tel turned up at Middlesborough to assist Bryan Robson.
Likely candidates for the role? How about Bobby Robson a wealth of football knowledge and desperate to get back into the game and also a damm good coach which is something Todd clearly is not. OK he is 70 but as a short term solution it might be worth a try either with him or with someone else.
Bringing someone else in would have the added benefit of pissing Todd off and hopefully he would resign and thus save us the pay off!

wykie

C&B Member
May 20, 2005
Where does the 5 year contract come from? He is on a rolling contract so 1 year most. Sack the Twot.

Status
Not open for further replies.