Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

IF we do make it to the LDV Vans final....

Status
Not open for further replies.
G
IF we made it to the LDV Vans final who would you want us to play in the final from the southern section?

Swindon
Woking
Chelthenham
MK Dons
Gillingham
Wycombe Wanderers
Oxford United
Leyton Orient
Colchester United
Northampton Town
Walsall
AFC Bournemouth
Swansea City
Rushden & Diamonds

One team i WOULDNT want us to end up against would be Swansea, they would take plenty of fans and at the moment they look like the only team left in the southern section who are better than us.

MK Dons, Bournemouth, Walsall or Gillingham wouldnt be bad to face in the final though. Worst case scenario would be either against Swansea or against Woking........an LDV Vans cup final against Woking doesnt quite seem so attractive and it takes a bit of excitement out of the final eh

How many do you think we'd take? I dont think we'd quite match the 33,000 odd we took to Wembley in 1996 as it is only the LDV Vans, but 20,000 is achievable....no?

Rick

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
Dbantx said:
IF we made it to the LDV Vans final who would you want us to play in the final from the southern section?

One team i WOULDNT want us to end up against would be Swansea, they would take plenty of fans.
Swansea is the only draw worth having, they'd take 30,000+ fans as it's just down the road which means more £'s to be shared between the clubs, which makes them the best team to play.

Tell me Forest and Walsall are similar distances away but which team do you look more forward to facing? I bet it's forest because of the large support they bring, same thing with the LDV Vans final. Why have an empty stadium just so we get an easy team to win a meaningless competition, why not have a 3/4 full ground and have a right good day out.

Win or Lose if you get to the final it will be a great day out so why have it half empty, therefore Swansea is the only team worth playing in the southern section not the team to avoid.

MK Dons not being bad to meet in the final? Yeah if you want to sit in a ground which is basically empty it is, otherwise it's Swansea or at a stretch Walsall or Bournemouth. The other plum tie would of been Bristol but they are out.

In a way the fact Notts County only took 7,000 to wembley took a bit of the gloss from the day when we went there, don't get me wrong Wembley was special but it would of been better if there was 30,000 opposition fans there too.

G
Aye i suppose, i just get the feeling we'd lose to Swansea though:D

Would be a great day out mind.

May 20, 2005
We haven't even kicked a ball in the competition yet and we're all ready planning who we play in the final. I'm not surprised the players and management have to combat gross over expectation as well as the usual obstacles.

Competing in the LDV to me is just an indicator of how low we have stooped. I'd be gutted if any of our key players got injured playing in this competition whilst we were in a position to challenge for the play offs.

Rick

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
ChuckleBantam said:
We haven't even kicked a ball in the competition yet and we're all ready planning who we play in the final. I'm not surprised the players and management have to combat gross over expectation as well as the usual obstacles.
It's a what if senario that someone asked a question on. We are fully aware that a trip to Cardiff is a distant possibility. No one is expecting anything just looking down the line at a best case senario and talking about it there is nothing wrong with that.

It's something your idol G Richmond did all the time when he wasn't selling and leasing back everything that wasn't bolted down at the club from Players to Pens. I heard recently Richmond was planning on opening a tanning salon, you simply pay him for how long you want tanning, then he bends over and the sun shining out of his arse will give you a golden tan.;)

IMO it makes a nice change that someone is trying to be positive rather than slagging off the manager and the people who run the club, which tend to crop up on here more often than not.

In order of priority everyone knows league 1 is the priority, next will be the FA Cup then the LDV Vans (as we are already out of the League cup). So at present it is our 3rd priority but it could be a nice little earner. Southend United got to the final last season and it did them no harm as they still got promoted and as Julian Rhodes is so quick to point out this £1m blackhole we have, four or five extra games this season for the chance to have a big pay day is something he can't rule out. Now this shouldn't come at the cost of our league position but success breeds success and the confidence gained along the way hopefully will allow us to push for promotion (like it did with Southend last season). If we beat Morecombe in a few weeks we will be in the last 8 of the northern section and when you are that close surely it isn't something you should just disregard at pointless.

In fact a look at the history of the competition goes to show some big names have got to the final of this competition over the last 20 years.

Wigan,
Bolton,
Birmingham,
Wolverhampton,
Bristol City,
Hull City,
Stoke City &
Millwall.

It certainly hasn't done them any harm.

Remember this was a what if question, not an I expect statement. Theres nothing wrong with trying to look on the bright side, you'll probably agree it's a lot better than trying to pick all the bad things out of our currently league position, of which I can find none when others are wanting the manager to walk.

Thorney said:
I heard recently Richmond was planning on opening a tanning salon, you simply pay him for how long you want tanning, then he bends over and the sun shining out of his arse will give you a golden tan.;)
The rumours that Ashley Ward was the "Guinea pig" at these "Tannings" & became "addicted" now seem substantiated then???:cool::D

briggus

C&B Member
May 27, 2005
Brighouse
Thorney said:
It's a what if senario that someone asked a question on. We are fully aware that a trip to Cardiff is a distant possibility. No one is expecting anything just looking down the line at a best case senario and talking about it there is nothing wrong with that.

It's something your idol G Richmond did all the time when he wasn't selling and leasing back everything that wasn't bolted down at the club from Players to Pens. I heard recently Richmond was planning on opening a tanning salon, you simply pay him for how long you want tanning, then he bends over and the sun shining out of his arse will give you a golden tan.;)

IMO it makes a nice change that someone is trying to be positive rather than slagging off the manager and the people who run the club, which tend to crop up on here more often than not.

In order of priority everyone knows league 1 is the priority, next will be the FA Cup then the LDV Vans (as we are already out of the League cup). So at present it is our 3rd priority but it could be a nice little earner. Southend United got to the final last season and it did them no harm as they still got promoted and as Julian Rhodes is so quick to point out this £1m blackhole we have, four or five extra games this season for the chance to have a big pay day is something he can't rule out. Now this shouldn't come at the cost of our league position but success breeds success and the confidence gained along the way hopefully will allow us to push for promotion (like it did with Southend last season). If we beat Morecombe in a few weeks we will be in the last 8 of the northern section and when you are that close surely it isn't something you should just disregard at pointless.

In fact a look at the history of the competition goes to show some big names have got to the final of this competition over the last 20 years.

Wigan,
Bolton,
Birmingham,
Wolverhampton,
Bristol City,
Hull City,
Stoke City &
Millwall.

It certainly hasn't done them any harm.

Remember this was a what if question, not an I expect statement. Theres nothing wrong with trying to look on the bright side, you'll probably agree it's a lot better than trying to pick all the bad things out of our currently league position, of which I can find none when others are wanting the manager to walk.
It would a shame should we suffer an injury to a key - player but that could easily happen on the training ground or at home ala Matt Clarke.
I would like to see City get to a final to give us fans something to look forward to, give the players more confidence and help a promotion push.
Also a good cup run may generate income to help our finances - so much so that it might let JR think about letting CT bring in players on loan/permanently for a promotion push - in the new year.

Status
Not open for further replies.