January transfer window

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Kevin1954

C&B Member
May 10, 2013
North Norfolk
Aye, Al. Just tryin' to think of how many City have had, that made a 'dream debut'. ;) I think most have been steady, at best.
But no worries, come 5.00 PM tomorrow, and another 3 points - we'll have forgotten this conversation ? :)
Dream debut Chris ??
I give you the one and only Norman Corner... hat-trick on his debut away at Grimsby. Chris I thought we had signed Pele

Feb 17, 2016
Bingley
They were changed when the last TV deal was signed along with solidarity payments. They are due to be revised again on the next round of TV deals.
From what I can see the payments have increased, but for a shorter period and also depending how long the club was in the PL. This seems to have been in response to suggestions that clubs were not trying to compete in the PL and pocketing the cash. (Link 1) (Link 2)

But supposedly this scheme was introduced purely to stop clubs from going bust like we did. So perhaps it can be means tested or have conditions attached relating to future spending, or maybe the clubs should be made to apply for the funding? At least that way payments are only made to clubs that genuinely need them. Otherwise it is just giving the likes of Blackburn free rein to carry on spending regardless while still heavily in debt.

From what I can see the payments have increased, but for a shorter period and also depending how long the club was in the PL. This seems to have been in response to suggestions that clubs were not trying to compete in the PL and pocketing the cash. (Link 1) (Link 2)

But supposedly this scheme was introduced purely to stop clubs from going bust like we did. So perhaps it can be means tested or have conditions attached relating to future spending, or maybe the clubs should be made to apply for the funding? At least that way payments are only made to clubs that genuinely need them. Otherwise it is just giving the likes of Blackburn free rein to carry on spending regardless while still heavily in debt.
Agree 100% - Blackpool is the best/worse example, get promoted, "invest" 4.5M in players, and the rest just disappears.

Not sure about means testing as it could easily be abused, but there must be a fairer way to distribute cash to the EFL

Feb 16, 2015
Leeds
Agree 100% - Blackpool is the best/worse example, get promoted, "invest" 4.5M in players, and the rest just disappears.

Not sure about means testing as it could easily be abused, but there must be a fairer way to distribute cash to the EFL
Over the years, the PL chairmen have made a rod for their own back imo. I agree with you that Blackpool really were the worst example (so far!) of simply taking advantage of the riches available to PL clubs and paying it out to the club's owners. But then Oysten himself was somewhat dodgy and I suspect that the way he handled their short time in the PL wasn't very different from some of his other deals.

But even setting Blackpool aside, there is something fundamentally wrong in the PL. The price of failure - let's define that as getting relegated! - amounts to payments from the Sky contract of around £100m in the relegation year followed by another £75m or so in parachute payments over the next 3 years. I sort of understand why the PL chairmen regard 'their' PL as 'their' club and want to provide their fomer fellow chairmen with as big an advantage for returning to the PL. But it's slowly becoming a closed shop. And that approach then disadvantages those Championship clubs who don't have the benefit of parachute payments who have to look to their owners to make up that difference. Paradoxically, it's the access to three or four years parachute payments which creates the huge ongoing debts for some EFL clubs.

Getting parochial over this, it demonstrates how difficult it will do for any club to reach the dizzy heights of the PL without a substantial financial backing, either from parachute payments or increasingly from the clubs' financial backers.

ilovecity

C&B Member
Mar 27, 2014
bradford
I try to keep an open mind brother as you'd see from comments I've made in previous transfer windows. However looking at the kids record and the comments from those who have seen him play he sounds bang average. He turns 22 this year so you'd have thought he'd be making a name for himself at Derby by now if he was anything special. Jury's out on this one.
Well I for one will wait until I’ve actually seen him

Bradford Bullmastiff

Bullmastiffs- in good hands, we are adorable
C&B Member
Jan 28, 2009
Bradford
Don't understand your disagreement @Bradford Bullmastiff do you actually believe Marriott is in a different league to wyke. My original post was that in no way shape of form is Marriott twice the striker of wyke yet our value of a reported £2m for him compared to marrriots offer £4m suggests to me either one is under valued or the other is over valued in today's market.
A valuation is exactly that. It is what the vendor wants for their asset. If the buyer agrees with the said valuation, a deal can be reached.

I love my house, for example. All the houses on my street will be valued around the same price (give or take £5k-£10k). Would I want to sell my house for the same price as my neighbour, just because they may be happy to accept the offer being made? No. But if someone came and offered me double, of course I’d reconsider.

The point being, we haven’t said we’d be happy to accept £2m but if we did, that’s what we deem to be acceptable. Posh clearly do not want to sell and so are pricing him more than his worth would be if he was running down his contract.

Wyke only has 18mths left on his deal whereas Marriott still has 3.5yrs left. That also makes a big difference.

And if you were to ask me if I’d want a 23yr old Marriott over a 24yr old Wyke, I’d say yes every time. Whether I’d be happy to pay double is another matter though.

Bradford Bullmastiff

Bullmastiffs- in good hands, we are adorable
C&B Member
Jan 28, 2009
Bradford
Your right, he is a different James Wilson - when the Man Utd lad was signed a couple of days ago, the Blades then had two James Wilson's on their books. Now they have released the 28 year old defender who they signed in this window, last year, to give them cover for their (successful) run-in. The defender Wilson has been on loan with Walsall this season but now has his contract terminated and I nearly posted last night that I felt he could be one to do the same job for us. When Wilder signed him he said that he did so because Wilson knew his way around this division - having played 46 games for Oldham the season before. 6'2" - has one Welsh cap, right footed and can play, seemingly, in both full back positions as well as Centre Half. Now a free agent I would have thought he would be worthy of a trial at least as we are struggling for experienced defenders at the moment.....
Spot on. Yet we sign a young defender/midfielder from Derby. Sorry, but if this is the best defensive cover we can get, maybe Abbott is having to work with one arm tied behind his back

Oct 10, 2008
Yorkshire
Spot on. Yet we sign a young defender/midfielder from Derby. Sorry, but if this is the best defensive cover we can get, maybe Abbott is having to work with one arm tied behind his back
It's not about been the best we can get it's if the player's club in this case Derby would let their employee join us.
Also don't forget the Parasite of football The Agent.
Greg's arms are no different to any other in this scenario,the selling or loaning club are in complete control they hold the registration.
If we get a Green light it's a goer.Red and we switch targets and move on.
For all we know Guy may not have been the first genuine achievable player financially that we approached to bolster our depleted squad numbers.