Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Lets NOT play a weakened team against Rochdale...

Status
Not open for further replies.
G
Hey i have a great idea, lets NOT play a weakened team against Rochdale.

If Todd does then he is quite frankly mad.

The reason i bring this up is that i can just see him thinking 'hey this will be a great time to give Cadamarteri, Damion Stewart and Owen Morrison a first team start'.

Lets hope we have learned the lessons of the past, Rochdale are a good team coming off the back of a good win with the best striker in league 2 (Grant Holt). If we put Stewart up against him we will be massacred.

Being a league two side it is probable that Rochdale will be very physical, so if were going to give anybody a start i'd suggest Crooks, he is not a pretty footballer but he gets far too much stick because whenever our hobbit sized midfield is getting bullied the opposition think twice about it when they see Crooks.

I'd take Muirhead off, play MBW on the right and stick Crooks in the center along side Schumacher.

One change, now is it too much to ask that we do not play a reserve side in a tricky tie against good league 2 opposition?

I dont know about anybody else but i for one want us to get past the first round and draw L666s at home in the second.

(Can anybody else see Petta bottling this one and just strolling around the pitch for a whole game, i mean a cold night in the league cup first round away to Rochdale in front of a couple of thousands fans)

Oh and i forgot.....for gods sake play Windass!

Rick

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
Personnally I'd rather see us lose on Tuesday then pick up 6 points from the weekend and bank holiday games.

We have a thin squad as it is lets not jepordise it, would you be happy if Deano was injured in a two bob cup tie?

G
'Which in all honesty should hammer the likes of Rochdale! Only if we lost would it be brought up that we should have started with the same 11 that beat Hartlepool!!

Any 11 from our squad (played in position) should be beating Rochdale!!'

Beerbantam this is exactly the kind of pride and arrogance that loses us the cup games.

Like it or not their is a small difference between a very good league 2 team and the whole of league 1. We are not superstars, half of Rochdales players are lower league players just like half of ours are. A full strength team should sweep Rochdale aside, anything less and we are taking a risk. I have no doubt in my mind that right now Rochdale are as good as the likes of Yeovil and MK Dons...would you risk playing an understrength team against them?

Windass has a very good record for injuries and is as fit as ever, we cant simply not play him because we fear he may break his leg in an unimportant game...he may slip in the carpark on the way back to the team coach and shatter his pelvis.

Think about it, it may just be the league cup but in the long run this game could indirectly be a promotion decider just as every league game could. If we get through to the next round and win what happens if we draw Manchester United away and pocket half of their gate receipts? If we need a new player in the January transfer window to give us that extra little push towards promotion then im sure that money would come in handy.

At the end of the day its all ifs and buts however i'd rather we treated every game like a cup final.

EDIT: Just been on the city website that Howarth will probably get a start against Rochdale, which i have no problems with as it sounded like he did well against Rotherham.

Rick

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
Simple question.

Would you rather us progress to the second round of a cup we're never going to win or win the league games to help us achieve a push for the play-off in a league I'm confident we can do well in?

Barmy

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
Leicester
beerbantam said:
Who knows what sort of team CT will pick for tonight, but history suggests that tonights team will be something like this....

GK.Howarth
LB.Emanuel
CB.Bower
CB.StewPeas
RB.Edgehill
LM.Muirhead
CM.Kearney
CM.Crooks
RM.Morrison
CF.Cadders
CF.Windass

Which in all honesty should hammer the likes of Rochdale! Only if we lost would it be brought up that we should have started with the same 11 that beat Hartlepool!!

Any 11 from our squad (played in position) should be beating Rochdale!!
Id go along with that beer, maybe Cooke startin with Windass ont bench.

Can see Todd makin a few changes for the game.

Rick

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
Ed said:
Errrr money.
If Bradford are hanging round the play-offs all season they will make more money from home gates than they would if they got a couple of good cup ties but did nothing in the league.

TSSB

C&B Member
Jun 6, 2005
South Shields
I think we would rest windass and play cooke and cadders, with morrison and crooks getting a start, on the thought that its only a two bit cup, it may only be the carling cup but its a good way of getting revenue into the club, we beat rochdale on tuesday then who knows LEEDS,SUNDERLAND,HUDDERSFIELD ( just three clubs that i thought of at the top of my head ) at home with a sizable crowd and extra revenue into the VP coffers.

G
So who do you think will be playing? This is who I think Todd will pick

Gk. Howarth

RB.Swift
CB.Stewart
CB.Bower
LB.Taylor

RM.MBW
CM.Crooks
CM.Kearney
LM.Emanuel (Todd likes him at left wing for some reason)

ST.Windass
ST.Cadamarteri

Subs:
Ricketts
Edghill
Morrison
Petta
Cooke

briggus

C&B Member
May 27, 2005
Brighouse
Pros and Cons

Thorney agree with you to a point - but you state you would like to see us get into the play offs but a cup run - may effect that - injuries etc. However if were to finish in the pay offs we will be in a cup competetion.

A decent cup will bring some benefits:

Much needed income;

Generate interest so some of the stay away fans may return;

Bury the cup jinx - which the players need to do if we are to be successful in the play offs; and possibly

Improve the players confidence / team spirit.

G
It puzzles me why people question why we keep losing these cup games, for all the cup games that we have lost we have been resting some of our best players and fielding understrength teams yet people still suggest we should be fielding underpowered teams, lets get one thing straight, Rochdale are not crap, they will pull us to bits if we decide to rest Wetherall or Bower, mark my words (but make sure to unmark them if im wrong).

G
thinking about it crooks made a bit of a comeback at rotherham and may well be risked don't know about asda

Rick

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
Bit risky having Deano on from the start with the Ref who sent him off on boxing day last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.