Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

MK Dons can get a friendly against Atletico Madrid...

Status
Not open for further replies.
G
So why the chuff cant we?

MK Dons have arranged a friendly with Spanish giants Atletico Madrid on the 31st July.

Imagine the revenue that this would bring through the turnstiles for us. It wouldnt be any ordinary friendly like the ones we have against an English Premiership side, a top La Liga team would surely pull in a big crowd and thus lots of revenue. Hell a fixture like this could pay the wages of a couple of new players for a year increasing Colin Todds wage budget etc...

Policing may be slightly more costly than usual but attracting a couple of big sides like this for pre-season fixtures could have been the difference between promotion and mid table because of the extra revenue.

And thats another thing...San An cup my arse. A little Ibizan team managed to attract and fund an 8 or so team tournament out there including the likes of Huddersfield, Wycombe and Oldham. Why cant we have the bleedin Bradford Cup eh?

Im sure Atletico Madrid would be more keen to come out here and play a small tournament than to play a plastic team that plays in a Hockey stadium.

How about Atletico Madrid, City, Leeds, Sheffield United, Hudders, Park Avenue, some Oriental team and a Scotch team?

Fair enough policing would cost alot and the pre-season would turn Valley Parade pitch into a wreck but with a combination like that of local teams and exotic teams imagine the revenue that would be generated from it all...and eck it wouldnt half raise the clubs profile!

I know i know...its all a pipe dream, city will never arrange any decent friendlies :confused: (Apart from Stuarts testimonial and the Save Our city game which were both fab :D )

May 20, 2005
To be honest Dan. I doubt Atletico Madrid'd be much of a pull at VP. I'd be surprised if anymore than 3000'd turn up for them. I know where you're coming from though. I thought MK Dons were supposed to be the Lepers of English football.

G
'To be honest Dan. I doubt Atletico Madrid'd be much of a pull at VP. I'd be surprised if anymore than 3000'd turn up for them. I know where you're coming from though. I thought MK Dons were supposed to be the Lepers of English football.'

Over 2,000 turned up to watch us play Coleraine in the semi of the Centernary tournament i think :cool:

Providing it was on a Saturday or Sunday and the tickets were at a reasonable price i'd expect us to pull in 10,000-13,000.

Just cant understand MK Dons getting em though, as you say the lepers of English football.

Speaking of Lepers Can you tell which of these three happy chappies is the Chairman of Milton Keynes Dons none other than Mr. Pete 'Lets steal a football club and build a stadium attached to a supermarket' Winkleman?

Is A Pete Winkleman?

Is B Pete Winkleman?

Or is it C?

May 20, 2005
Atletico Madrid are now a below average mid table Spanish side with hardly any money and no star players. I doubt we'd get almost twice as many turning up for that game than turned up for the Hartlepool Home game last season when both teams were still going for the Play offs. It'd Take Real Madrid or Barcelona to pack em in to VP for a pre season Friendly. Atletico don't have that pull.

ChuckleBantam said:
Atletico Madrid are now a below average mid table Spanish side with hardly any money and no star players. I doubt we'd get almost twice as many turning up for that game than turned up for the Hartlepool Home game last season when both teams were still going for the Play offs. It'd Take Real Madrid or Barcelona to pack em in to VP for a pre season Friendly. Atletico don't have that pull.
Depends how you market It Chucks,

King Geoff was master of bullsh/t & once convinced me that the Feyenoord 1st team were playing at City when in fact it turned out to be their youth team!
Pmsl

G
'Middlesborogh is a more attractive proposition in my eyes. Familiar Players from a Premiership Team just up the Road.'

Not in most peoples eyes though. Besides we are getting Middlesborough Reserves, to further highlight my point that we are crap at making friendlies its Darlington or something that are getting the Middlesborough first team. Even with the Middlesborough first team couldnt see more than that 3,000 figure you mentioned turning out.

May 24, 2005
Between the devil and deep blue sea!
Dan - no offence mate but 10,000-13,000 - don't make me laugh.....around 10 years ago we played Real Valladolid, who at the time were probably even more famous than Athletico are now....they'd just bought three of the stars of the world cup (at that time) in Renay Igita (spelling) and Carlos Valderrama, the other player escapes me.....but if i remember rightly there was around 4,000 there - and trust me it was marketed like hell - our fans are even more fickle and skint than they were back then - for us to play Athletico - there'd be less than there were against Rushden in the FA Cup last season!!! The Bolton game for Jake's testimonial would be a more important game - and how many turned up for that??

jimmy

C&B Member
May 27, 2005
I notice the no marks.lol.On here have ago at the MK DONS,but sit back and look at their attendences,i think last year it was around the 4-5000 mark.When we were in the same division 95-96 ours was the same.I think they will go from strength to strength.

G
'but if i remember rightly there was around 4,000 there - and trust me it was marketed like hell'

Aye i suppose. Wishful thinking i guess.

'I notice the no marks.lol.On here have ago at the MK DONS,but sit back and look at their attendences,i think last year it was around the 4-5000 mark.When we were in the same division 95-96 ours was the same.I think they will go from strength to strength.'

In their losing run their crowds dropped below 3,000. They only started picking up again when they went on a good run. Sadly though i think your right, i think MK Dons will be mid table this year and once they move into that new 30,000 capacity stadium they should be on their way upwards. I just hope they go bust before they start to go on the rise :mad:

May 19, 2005
if atletico played at VP i know i'd bring a planeload of locals back for it, but its true that they arent as big as they were when they won the double ten years back.
whats the biggest pre-season crowd we've had in the last few years anyway?

Jul 5, 2005
also i remember us playing Fiorentina in a friendly not so many seasons ago and this was when they were a still a force with a lot of quality players.remember rui costa coming on off the bench in the 2nd half and taking the piss.that was a night game if i remember right but the attendance was still poor for the quality of players that was on show.

Status
Not open for further replies.