Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

My views of today

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 18, 2005
We saw all that is bad and all that is good about being a City fan today. The first half was poor and our players didn’t seem up for it at all, in fact the whole shape of the team was wrong. To be fair though the ref didn’t help matters much, as he was allowing Cooke getting bullied by the Tranmere defence.

Anyway it was a win so onto the good stuff, that was the second half. We came out a much better team and we had a very, very solid defence with special mention to Stewpeas and Ricketts who were superb (even though they do push their luck a little). I’m my opinion Ricketts is twice the player Henderson ever was and our improvement at the back is a fine example of that, Bower and wethers were also solid with Emanuel playing much better too. In midfield Crooks, Morrison and Muirhead were solid and entertaining which was for the first time this season the correct balance. Again Schuey was below par but he did put a lot of effort in so I can’t really fault him. Up front neither Windass or Cooke played brilliantly, but they both did their jobs, its a real shame that the third didn’t count as it was a prime example why these two click, great cross by Cooke and a good finish from Windass.

The manager IMO got it wrong in the first half, but he got the team fired up in the second, he also got the tactics and the substitutions right with Stewpeas and even Cadds calmed the nerves a little during the last few minutes.

The Crowd were good in patches and it was one of the better atmospheres this season.

My MOM would be between Crooks and Stewpeas but Morrison did very well, and if we can keep that level of performance from the second half up we have a chance of making the playoffs.

My ratings

Ricketts - 8 - Solid if a little reckless (which is entertaining)
Edghill - 5 - Did nothing wrong but we were shocking in the first half
Wethers - 7
Bower - 7 - Both solid
Emanuel - 7 - much better from lewis
Morrison - 7.5 - much better than Petta
Crooks - 8 - Solid as a rock
Schuy - 6 - below par
Muirhead - 7.5 - Much, much better
Windass - 6 - Scored
Cooke - 6 - Bullied out of the game

Stewpeas - 8 - Solid and entertaining
Cadds - not enough time to rate

baldbantam

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
It was a decent second half, but we were lucky. They could have been 3 or 4 up before we started scoring with the one that hit the crossbar and the couple of goalmouth scrambles.

Both our goals were slightly fortunate as well. I don't think anybody in the Kop thought that shot was over the line, and the penalty might not have been given on another day.

Still, a win is a win, and an away match at Barnsley is winnable for us.

baldbantam

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
tatt said:
YO BALDY
did ya find any mates to talk to after goose stepping the bantams
at least 20 times
...mmm i guess not
Lad I was supposed to be meeting didn't turn up :mad:

Rick

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
One big bonus for us today was the performance of Morrison, he brought a extra threat and extra creativity that has been lacking since the injury of Bridge-Wilkinson. His ball to Windass that set up the penalty cut the defense in two, fully deserved man of the match.

Barnsley twice, Hudders and Hartlepool in the coming weeks which should all be well attended and should have a decent atmosphere.

G

I gotta disagree in some respect BOTO.
The first half wuz as entertaining as the second IMO.
Yes!…Trannies could have scored 2 or 3 goals but so could we with a good effort from Morrison, 2 from Deano, one from Cooke and one from Muirhead.

It was end to end stuff but granted, they had the lions share of the ball. It was full of incident with the offside goal and Deano's hilarious cock-ups like trying to clear the ball from under the sunwin stand but slicing his kick so the ball became a good cross into our own box. And then, the fool tries to play central defender 20 yards out, trips over his size 15 clown shoes and gives the ball away to their attackers. LMAO.:D

Ricketts pulled off a fantastic double save but was little troubled otherwise. And what a great throw he has!!

Crooks was not very good first half with some misplaced passes but he did what he does best and broke up play when it mattered. But Schuey was awful first half, absolutely dire.

Both teams went off to deserved applause for an entertaining half.

-------------------

Second half was even better with City in the ascendance.
But it wasn't all one way and although the Batmans were dominant in possession the Trannies were dangerous and we needed the competance of the back four to prevent Rovers from adding to their score.

Emmanuelle III was superb at left back and should never be given the wing/midfield role ever again.

Stewpease missed a few headers and got nutmegged in the box but apart from that was tremendous in not shirking the tackle and adding to the forward play and as you say Booer and Wethers were great.

Crooks played much better second half but Schuey did little to improve his rating and the main threats came down the flanks with Emmanuelle and Morrison linking well with the forwards and providing a few tempting crosses.

On the right, Muirhead got up a head of steam and provided some opportunities but he tended to get pushed inside all the time and I don't remember him getting to the by-line once. He has pace, he needs to use it better IMO.

I couldn't tell wether Crocks Goal was over the line but who cares…it was given.

Deano was pushed over in the box and we have had loads of similar penalties against us (Booer).

Highlight for me though was Ricketts theatrics when chasing down a ball pushed through for one of their attackers and 'dummied' the striker by somersaulting over the ball allowing it to go behind for the goal kick…Hilarious!

A very typical entertaining FA cup encounter overall and worth twice the tenner I paid to get in.:)

:cool:

'More of the same please!'

Rick

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
One good view Mr Rhodes would of had yesterday was of the cheque for £16,000 for winning in the first round and the attendance which I was very suprised at, 6,110+ wasn't too shabby at all.

Barnsley away in the next round looks like a difficult game but one I think we can at least draw and set up a replay. It also has an outside chance of making the TV as I believe it's the game with the highest positioned sides in the second round.

Status
Not open for further replies.