Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

[ NOMINATE ] the greatest ever city game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed

Megalomaniac
Administrator
May 18, 2005
use this thread to nominate the greatest city game you've ever witnessed and include the season, who they played, result and a description of the game.

Ed

Megalomaniac
Administrator
May 18, 2005
Please keep this on topic. It's here because i've been watching the statistics closely and this is the busiest section of the site and want this to get maximum exposure.

Mr. Ed said:
Please keep this on topic. It's here because i've been watching the statistics closely and this is the busiest section of the site and want this to get maximum exposure.
Just wait till Baldy see's it, your in big trouble mate;)

Wembley 96, City 2-Notts County 0

33,000 City fans & promotion, what a day!:D

BTW I didn't go to Wolves:mad:

Rick

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
Tranmere 4 - Bradford City 5 - 2004, I expected a run of the mill football game but got to see one of Bradford finest games.

Bradford 2 - Barnsley 1 - 1998, One nil down with 3 minutes to go, enter Gordon Watson two goals complete euphoria and a massive headache the day after!

Aug 8, 2005
Queensbury
The Blackpool away play off game. The fact that it booked a place at wembley just gives it the edge over wolves away, liverpool home and the wembley apperance itself.

May 22, 2005
Wembley .What a day out,what a game.Lets hope we make the L.D.V.Final,because were not going to reach any other final this season.

Wahki Nells

Wahki Nells
C&B Member
May 28, 2005
1. blackpool away 96, play off semis
2. liverpool home, 2000
3. wembely 96

so many to chose, but for sheer entertainment ive got to pick tranmere away last season, best game of my life certinaly

G
Wembley? Nah, knew we'd piss it.

Wolves? Nah, too nervous (BTW I got on the telly too)

Liverpool? Close, but after Wetheralls goal, can't remember a thing.

Barnsley at home, "Flash"'s 2nd saw me rolling around on the floor at the back of Midland Road with "Is It A Man Or A Woman" directly under the gaze of 100 tattoed-mastachioed-ex-miners, and I couldn't give a flying one.

Chrissy Waddles demoltion of Everton, and Tranmere away are worthy runners up.

Sterling Archer

I really envy those who have never met you.
C&B Member
May 21, 2005
Economic traveling migrant
Parrot said:
Wembley 96, City 2-Notts County 0

33,000 City fans & promotion, what a day!

BTW I didn't go to Wolves:mad:

Once again i agree with Parrot if only for the whole day out at footballs top stadium of old...

I lived out my dream of seeing City at Wembley even if it wasnt the FA cup final...:D

Wall to wall Claret and Amber only slightly ruined by the lack of Notts County fans.. But hey..

Best Game of football ive seen is as always the 5-4 loss against the Hammers in the Prem... Even got on MOTD that game three times ... :D

That match was pure football, it had everything...:D

May 25, 2005
The Netherlands
www.theTVproject.com
Preston 4 - Bradford 5 in the FA Cup on their plastic pitch. I was praying Preston would score in the 90th minute so we could have 30 more minutes of top notch entertainment.

Hull 2 - Bradford 3, last game of the season, we took the home end, loads of pitch invasions, rioting after the game, us running for cover and having to hide our shirts and scarves on the way home. Ormondroyd played an absolute blinder and we nipped in for the play off spot. A truly surreal experience.

Jul 17, 2005
Not Hull.
aside from those mentioned...

2-2 against burnley a few years ago when we had 2 players sent off for trivial things. we were 1-0 up at half time then 2-1 down, and in the last 15 minutes burnely were taking the piss with the ball and messing around. 3 minutes into injury time claus jorgensen took the ball off one of theirs and ran through on goal, his first shot was saved, his second hit the post and michael proctor tapped in.

2-1 vs arsenal in the premiership. probably a bigger scalp than liverpool.

Costello

C&B Member
May 27, 2005
A few other favourites...

City 2 Middlesbrough 0 - 87/88
City 2 Wolves 1 - 98/99
City 2 Chelsea 0 - 00/01

Three of the most complete City home performance I can remember, though I vastly enjoyed the Chelsea match, I knew the months ahead would still be tough, though I kept my opinion to myself on the night!

The first 45 minutes against Norwich at VP in the 99 promotion season were also superb.

bg

C&B Member
May 19, 2005
Blackpool away to get a trip to Wembley.......Wolves would follow that, it was pure drama, but I just knew we would win it.

TSSB

C&B Member
Jun 6, 2005
South Shields
Blackpool away in 96. after the debacle at VP, i thought why not go on a bender in blackpool any way win or lose, and bought a ticket off a blackpool fan in the innman before the match at VP.....pure class

king billy

C&B Member
May 24, 2005
Between the devil and deep blue sea!
Wolves, Wembley, Blackpool and Liverpool deserve mention because of the drama - but take the drama away were they the best ever City game? Nah - not a chance, Wolves was a decent game but Wembley and Liverpool were shite games if all told - Blackpool away was just us giving someone a hiding......you've got to look beyond the drama and look at the actual game!!

Because of that Tranmere last season - 5-4 in terms of goals scored, football played - and the last minute winner has to be the greatest ever - at least in my 24 years of watching City!!......:cool:

Johnny Yen

C&B Member
May 21, 2005
Eccleshill
My personal favourite game,
There's many certainly including the more famous ones,as mentioned in this thread.
At Wolves, Home to Liverpool (and also beating them in 1981), Wembley, QPR,Blackpool.

However, one that comes to mind is back in 1977, I was a 13 year old lad, I'd followed City for a few seasons, because many of my pals supported Leeds and Liverpool, I went alone quite often to watch City.
I took a lot of ribbing for supporting a fourth division club, but as I pointed out to them, I get to see my team play, not have to wait for MOTD.
Anyway I digress,
It was at home against Bournemouth, we really needed to win, but after a hard fought game, and a goal from Cooke, we drew 1:1.
Then the news came over the tinny tannoy that Swansea had been beat 4:0 at Watford! We were promoted, the first bit of success I'd experienced following my club, it had been worth it.
I was as pleased as punch, I was so proud I don't think I took my scarfe off for the close season.

Status
Not open for further replies.