Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

[ NOMINATE ] the greatest ever city goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed

Megalomaniac
Administrator
May 18, 2005
Use this thread to nominate the best ever city goal.

You must give a description of what happened, name the game, the scorer and result of the game also include the season.

Rick

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
Fa Cup round 4 - 1997
Everton 2 - Bradford City 3
Scorer - Chris Waddle

The ball broke to him about 40 yards away from goal without looking he hit it first time and lobbed the ball over Neville Southall who was trying to scramble back to get it. Both Southall and the ball were on the floor in the back of the net.

Waddle versus Everton, Goodison Park, 1997.

One of those "Time stands still moments", the ball seemed to be in the air for an eternity & the ground fell silent until the ball hit the back off the net & then the travelling army went crazy:D

Aug 8, 2005
Queensbury
I would have picked Waddles against Everton but too many went for it before me so ill go for Stan Collymores overhead against L**ds. I only wish it could have been a winner but was an awesome goal and the celebration wasn't bad either! :D

May 22, 2005
Carn't remember opposition but Gordon Watsons goal into the Bradford End goal. He ran down the main stand side and unleashed an un stoppable shot into the roof of the net.

Wahki Nells

Wahki Nells
C&B Member
May 28, 2005
its got to be waddles (as described above), or summerbies free kick against tranmere last season was quite good to!

Sterling Archer

I really envy those who have never met you.
C&B Member
May 21, 2005
Economic traveling migrant
Parrot said:
Waddle versus Everton, Goodison Park, 1997.

One of those "Time stands still moments", the ball seemed to be in the air for an eternity & the ground fell silent until the ball hit the back off the net & then the travelling army went crazy:D

Dont think there is one to beat that skill wise..

Otherwise Wethers against Liverpool.... For the obvious reason....:D

G
Can't argue with any of the above, but I'll throw Beni Carbone's lob against Charlton and his 30-yard screamer against Chelski in.

Costello

C&B Member
May 27, 2005
Danny Forrest's mid-air volley against Walsall. Also liked Peter Costello's goal at Elland Road in 1989 - a trimuph of direct football.

TSSB

C&B Member
Jun 6, 2005
South Shields
For overall team play. which involved a excellent performance from all the squad. it would have to be Lee Mills goal at wolves on the last day of our promotion season

king billy

C&B Member
May 24, 2005
Between the devil and deep blue sea!
Benni Carbone's freekick at Ipswich? 35 yard screamer....

Darren Holloway's at Hull last season has to be right up there....(probably the only reason he still gets a game!!)

Wes Reid years back probably 1990ish beat about 8 players on a mazy run to score - beauty goal - only thing he did for us mind.....

BUT the best ever City goal has to be ROBBIE JAMES at Rotherham early 90's - it was our 2nd goal of a 2-0 win.....i've still got it on video somewhere even the Rotherham fans stand up and clap it.....he ran onto a loose ball and belted it from about 35 yards nearly took the back of the net out......i know Parrot and Komakino (where's me shoe...lol) remember it - don't know if anyone else does?

bg

C&B Member
May 19, 2005
KB.........the other half remembers it well, and he assures me I was there so I witnessed it as well:)

Here is a few he remembers:

PC Showlers coming in from the left 35 yards out at Notts County a peach apparently another one that I don't remember but I was there. He just cannot remember the year, but thinks it was promotion year.

Blakes absolute cracker, in the mud, a screamer, even the ref stood and clapped that one.

Bronco Lane in the 1961/62 Season, scored an absolute thunderbolt when we were struggling against Southport. He is still one the other halfs all time favourites who played for city, only played 2 seasons, scored 34 goals, still a club record, I think.

His all time favourite goal is the one he scored himself a flying header in the cup against Addingham;) He doesn't do modesty;)

He like me as seen so many, but the one that stands out for him was the one Waddles scored at Crystal Palace, came in from the right and lashed it in over the head of the goalkeeper. We still lost:(

Johnny Yen

C&B Member
May 21, 2005
Eccleshill
This has to be the toughest nomination.
Hundreds of good goals, many inportant goals for many reasons.

I'd loved Colly's against Leeds, and his monkey imitations to the apes in the stand.

I loved Wethers against Liverpool at VP,

Dessies and Stallard's at Wembley

But there's one that stands out, not because of its greatness,or a goal that achieved a promotion or avoided a relegation.

However, it was a goal that gave me belief that we could survive after struggling all season in the old first division after our promtion at Wembley. CK had tried everything his limited managerial experience had taught him.
We'd brought Watson in and Scum Gray had smashed his leg, I thought there was no way to avoid relegation back to the old second division.
Newell had come in on loan and we struggled still to score goals.
We'd lost at home 2:0 to Birmingham and lost at Barnsley and were virtually down and out.

But we had a lifeline, we had a game in hand, a midweek fixture to be played on a Thursday night, against Tough no nonsence Charlton, Mark Bright had signelled to the our that we were going to get relegated, they were playing out of their skins, Aiden Davision in goal performed heroics, we needed the win so badly.

Cometh the hour cometh the man, tough tackling man of steel and vastly underated Nigel Pepper powered forward and met a cross from Tommy Wright he smashed an header into the net at the kop end, we won somehow 1:0, I started to believe, the club started to believe, the players started to believe and we stayed up, the rest is history.

Rick

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
Lee Crooks 35 yard Thunderbolt against Tranmere Rovers in the FA Cup.:rolleyes:

Also talking of Tranmere there were 2 beauties last season at Tranmere.

Summerbee's 30 Yard Free kick and Muirheads run from in his own half and 20 yard shot and finish.

Beever

C&B Member
Sep 2, 2005
Sticks against Oldham at VP.

Beat about 20 players, dribbled the ball along the dead ball line, cut in and belted it in for his hat trick.
If a Brazilian had done that yadda yadda yadda etc etc etc

May 20, 2005
A 30 Yard top corner screamer from Sinbad circa 1988 against Portsmouth in a 2-2 draw. I've not seen one to match it since. Closely followed by Stan's overhead kick against Leeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.