Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

O'brien

Status
Not open for further replies.

briggus

C&B Member
May 27, 2005
Brighouse
Lots of talk about former players - but Andy O'brien never sems to get mentioned. As a a former city player her has gone on to represent Eire and played in the Champions league for NUFC which is more than most.
I was suprised he did not make an appearance last summer for the fund raising - in fact I can not recall him getting a mention - did he leave city unhappily? You think he would have some feelings for the club that gave him a debut into football and the premier league?
O'brien and Weatherall played quite well together in the first season of the prem - and the following season he was shipped out - the fans gave him some banter/stick in the 2-2 draw - perhaps he took it badly?

B_i_N

C&B Member
May 20, 2005
Oslo
He doesn't seem to be popular with the Newcaslte fans. I think he had a few bad games for them last season and it's not certain if he's in the manager's plans as he reshapes the team. He was sold because Newcastle came in with a good offer and Richmond needed the dosh. Bradford was a great springboard for him and I think many City fans would welcome him back, but on the kind of wages he's used to, he would have to be very fond of Bradford to return.

May 18, 2005
We haven't got a cat in hell's chance of signing him. If Newcastle have lost interest in him, which I doubt, he still won't have any difficulty in finding a Premiership club.

Sterling Archer

I really envy those who have never met you.
C&B Member
May 21, 2005
Economic traveling migrant
Hes to good for us at the moment ... He is definately Prem quality and im glad for him...

He does a great job at Newcastle but their fans seem to have a go at him and prefer Fatty Bramble..

Im sure he will come back in three seasons time when we are back in the prem... (well we all dream dont we)....

Its always nice to see ex players doing well.. Shame about Dean Richards....

But there is Bruno as well... three great centre halves there with Wethers still here and Bower as well...

Lets hope we can continue that eh...

Costello

C&B Member
May 27, 2005
I'm sorry, but I disagree, I never rated OB, and it was a canny piece of business by GR to get £2 million for him. Nice enough lad, but he gets caught far too often ball watching, makes too many basic schoolboy errors, and is weak in the tackle. Championship quality maybe, but Premiership quality, you're having a laugh.

G
I take it the story that he was bought on Alan Shearers recommendation is a load of bollocks then?

OB recently signed a new contract, and at the height of Toons off field problems he was used by Souness to emphasise what a pro footballer should be about.

OB isn't and never has been big enough to be a dominating, all conquering centre half, but alongside someone who is, he aint half bad.

May 20, 2005
Behind Bramble and Boumsong he maybe, but he's better than the pair of them! That just shows why Souness is not wanted by the Toon Army IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.