Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ryan Mason

Jul 20, 2017
London
I don't think it does. A professional footballer retiring at 26, minted, who'll probably go on to become a Sky Sports News presenter, making him more minted, somehow puts what's being going on at Bradford City into perspective. When we lose tonight, am I going to think "well that was shit, but i really shouldn't be complaining because Ryan Masons career is over".. definitely not. It's two different things.

Last edited:

RonnieBrown

Rhubarb n' custard
C&B Member
Jul 30, 2013
Rotherham
The perspective is just where you wish to place it.
Sad and unfortunate, yes. However .............
As an Engineer, one apprentice asked me years ago - "What makes a good Engineer ?"
"Ask me when I retire." I responded. "If I still have eight fingers and two thumbs, I was OK. And if I kept clear of F*ck wits too - Then I will claim to have been a good Engineer." I have achieved both :).
In other words, all careers and professions hold a risk. Some are better paid and compensated than others.

May 19, 2013
Oakes, Huddersfield
The perspective is just where you wish to place it.
Sad and unfortunate, yes. However .............
As an Engineer, one apprentice asked me years ago - "What makes a good Engineer ?"
"Ask me when I retire." I responded. "If I still have eight fingers and two thumbs, I was OK. And if I kept clear of F*ck wits too - Then I will claim to have been a good Engineer." I have achieved both :).
In other words, all careers and professions hold a risk. Some are better paid and compensated than others.

Very true and of course there are people far worse off than Mason

May 19, 2013
Oakes, Huddersfield
I don't think it does. A professional footballer retiring at 26, minted, who'll probably go on to become a Sky Sports News presenter, making him more minted, somehow puts what's being going on at Bradford City into perspective. When we lose tonight, am I going to think "well that was shit, but i really shouldn't be complaining because Ryan Masons career is over".. definitely not. It's two different things.

And if he doesn't go onto be a Sky Sports presenter and fails, due to on-going health issues to stay in this industry, what does he do for the next 39 years before he retires. I posted because it's obviously likely that he will have his long term health compromised in some way. We're not talking about a knee injury here. There are already many footballers with head trauma's who get Parkinson's in their forties etc

And yes, I think fans should put things in perspective when we lose three points. You'd think the world had ended reading some of the comments on here during the last week or so

A lack of perspective often leads (not saying you) to OTT fan reaction and hence we end up with idiots doing something stupid, that they regret for the rest of their lives, either at a ground or on social media

So a reminder of the realistic bleak side, surely can't be a bad thing

RonnieBrown

Rhubarb n' custard
C&B Member
Jul 30, 2013
Rotherham
And if he doesn't go onto be a Sky Sports presenter and fails, due to on-going health issues to stay in this industry, what does he do for the next 39 years before he retires. I posted because it's obviously likely that he will have his long term health compromised in some way. We're not talking about a knee injury here. There are already many footballers with head trauma's who get Parkinson's in their forties etc

And yes, I think fans should put things in perspective when we lose three points. You'd think the world had ended reading some of the comments on here during the last week or so

A lack of perspective often leads (not saying you) to OTT fan reaction and hence we end up with idiots doing something stupid, that they regret for the rest of their lives, either at a ground or on social media

So a reminder of the realistic bleak side, surely can't be a bad thing
Very much so.
I post so rare after matches, these days ............ The world has not ended ! Disappointment fills the air, but we all awake the next day and do our usual mundane activities.
We each need to realise that it's a past time for us fans, and not a life determining death sentence .

Heaton Bantam

quite frankly my dear, i dont give a damn
C&B Member
May 19, 2013
Lives in Wilsden, Heart in Heaton
www.ratemypoo.co.uk
People sleep on the street, children are in poverty and you want us to have some perspective about a fairly rich 26 year old who will have been on at least £20k a week.

Sorry, if he's planned effectively and used his money wisely even a five year career should mean he never has to work again. Even if he does then getting his hand dirty working in a B&Q etc won't harm him.

No sympathy from me.

May 19, 2013
Oakes, Huddersfield
Very much so.
I post so rare after matches, these days ............ The world has not ended ! Disappointment fills the air, but we all awake the next day and do our usual mundane activities.
We each need to realise that it's a past time for us fans, and not a life determining death sentence .

Listen. I don't think I ever been so full of despair at the full time whistle last Saturday. But then I went home and was greeted warmly by my 3 year old Grandson who has a way of cheering you up :)

He's the one in my picture - yes, he's a Bantam whether he likes or not, no matter how much his 8 year old sister tries to convert him to the Terriers :mad::mad:

Jul 20, 2017
London
Hi
Very much so.
Feels like a life sentence at times ;)

May 19, 2013
Oakes, Huddersfield
People sleep on the street, children are in poverty and you want us to have some perspective about a fairly rich 26 year old who will have been on at least £20k a week.

Sorry, if he's planned effectively and used his money wisely even a five year career should mean he never has to work again. Even if he does then getting his hand dirty working in a B&Q etc won't harm him.

No sympathy from me.

Any sympathy for the footballers getting early onslaught of Parkinson's?

Do you think their £20K a week and fat pension plans makes up for it?

RonnieBrown

Rhubarb n' custard
C&B Member
Jul 30, 2013
Rotherham
Listen. I don't think I ever been so full of despair at the full time whistle last Saturday. But then I went home and was greeted warmly by my 3 year old Grandson who has a way of cheering you up :)

He's the one in my picture - yes, he's a Bantam whether he likes or not, no matter how much his 8 year old sister tries to convert him to the Terriers :mad::mad:
GREAT !! :tup:

My eldest GS plays for Idle Juniors U14, and one day hopes to play for our BCAFC. I share your joy :).

Feb 19, 2008
Near Kalamata, Messinias
To be a SKY Sports presenter you have to have a lot of brainwashing/training to be up there with the best.
For example, you have to learn how to say "err" between or before every word, "a" inbetween every word as in "err, Bradford "a" City", also learn all the phrases such as "low centre of gravity" which really means he's a short arse, "back stick", "front stick" "a coming together", "in the ascendancy" etc etc.
Then you have to ask questions that come from the School of the Bleedin' Obvious when questioning players after games, such as "what does it mean to score the winning goal?", "Is this win important?" "can this team now push on?" - For details on the best way to ask these questions, apply to Head of Obvious Questions, David Craig, c/o SKY Sports.

Heaton Bantam

quite frankly my dear, i dont give a damn
C&B Member
May 19, 2013
Lives in Wilsden, Heart in Heaton
www.ratemypoo.co.uk
Any sympathy for the footballers getting early onslaught of Parkinson's?

Do you think their £20K a week and fat pension plans makes up for it?
People live long lives with Parkinson's. Look at Ray Kennedy. It's not a nice disease but in most cases sufferers live with it. I've more sympathy for a 26 year old welder on minimum wage than I have with a very well paid footballer who'll have access to private health insurance, probably a nice big insurance payout and support from the PFA.

Perhaps the comment about working in B&Q wasn't right but other than that, no I have very little sympathy for him. Far worse happens to millions of far worse off folk.

RonnieBrown

Rhubarb n' custard
C&B Member
Jul 30, 2013
Rotherham
To be a SKY Sports presenter you have to have a lot of brainwashing/training to be up there with the best.
For example, you have to learn how to say "err" between or before every word, "a" inbetween every word as in "err, Bradford "a" City", also learn all the phrases such as "low centre of gravity" which really means he's a short arse, "back stick", "front stick" "a coming together", "in the ascendancy" etc etc.
Then you have to ask questions that come from the School of the Bleedin' Obvious when questioning players after games, such as "what does it mean to score the winning goal?", "Is this win important?" "can this team now push on?" - For details on the best way to ask these questions, apply to Head of Obvious Questions, David Craig, c/o SKY Sports.
FANTASTIC, B I G. Exactly as I see it ......... :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
Happen they could use some out takes from our Saturday chat room to spice things up, huh? ;)

RonnieBrown

Rhubarb n' custard
C&B Member
Jul 30, 2013
Rotherham
Sorry Ron but..............it really gets my goat. These people are like sheep and so bloody annoying!!! :roflmao:
Agree. Thank God I don't have a TV, etc.
BUT .............. I do miss Kamara ......
"Sorry Jeff - I didn't see that ........ I've been waiting for a link back to the studio. Eh, what ? Oh that pass and goal ? ........... NO, never saw it !! And yes, the atmosphere here is great now ............... What ? They've scored again (FFS :( ) ? " .......................... :)

Oct 31, 2010
Bradford
Some of these comments are a little harsh, very little sympathy, really? You could always probably find someone worse off but you don't need to put a cap on sympathy.

A freak accident had stopped him doing the thing he probably loves and is very talented at, at a really young age. Wouldn't say it makes me less bothered about citys slump but I don't struggle to sympathise