Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Southend Fan Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
G
hello chaps.
My seat is in the front row of the upper tier right behind the goal.
The incident with Rickets went as follows:
Ball came into the far post, Ricketts deflected it off for a corner. Ref gave a goal kick. Southend fans were incensed and started abusing Rickets. Bradford went up the other end and scored. The abuse for Rickets got worse and worse, and consisted of every swear word you have ever heard. AT NO TIME WAS THERE ANY RACIAL ABUSE - (which did surprise me).
Rickets finally made a gesture at the Southend Fans. One of the more vociforous fans was ejected from the stadium. He tends to lean right over the front of the stand and was shouting a lot - but I say again there was no racial abuse.

The story about Campbell Rice is rubish. Most ppl didnt notice him even walk past.
The linesman bought the gesture to the Refs attention and he got the red card out.

I suppose players should not react to the crowd but I can never understand fans who are happy to scream abuse and make gestures at a player, and when he makes a single reacton, they scream for him to be sent off.

Thats the facts. If Ricketts aleges racial abuse then he is wrong. Credit to Windass who for the rest for the half had to wear a shirt that was too big - even for Rickets, and oversize gloves. When Southend hit the post he indicated to the fans that he had it covered anyway and he struck up a bit of banter with some of the more reasonable fans.
Seems like a good bloke. Saddest thing is we only managed 1 shot on target in the 2nd half against a 5 foot 8/9 centre forward playing in goal.

Wahki Nells

Wahki Nells
C&B Member
May 28, 2005
Saddest thing is we only managed 1 shot on target in the 2nd half against a 5 foot 8/9 centre forward playing in goal.
you should be worried about the rest of the season then.....

As said previous on this board, Ricketts is extreemly laid back and it would have to be extreemly abusive/racial for him to be provoked and react. The sick irony (if it was racial abuse) is that Don was wearing a 'kick racism out of football' badge.

bg

C&B Member
May 19, 2005
well thank you for your account of what happened. We will have to see what the goalkeeper is saying about it all. Since when does a player get sent off for making gestures to the crowd???????? If that was the case, the 'holding of the ear' towards the opposition fans would merit a sending off every week for players, not to mention other antics players get up to. A yellow card would have been more in order, I think these type of incidents need more thorough investigation and the player and the team should not be penalised before the Ref and the Linesman have had all the facts; for instance objects are also thrown at goalies and players.

As has been mentioned Ricketts is not the sort that gets wound up, so it must have been very serious for him to react. If he says it was racial then I tend to believe him. It may be that you didn't hear what was said in the torrent of abuse that was taking place.

G
From where I was sitting it was impossible to hear a single shout as a whole bunch of people were chanting wanker!
Ricketts did shout something back but we couldnt hear him so i cant understand how he could hear an individual shout. We have a number of black players of our own so racist abuse just wouldnt make sense.
His gesture was holding the inside of his right elbow with his left hand then raising his right fist. Hard to explain a gesture in a typed message but im sure you know the pne i mean.
A sensible decision would for the ref to have told him not to react and calm down. A straight red was ridiculous.

B_i_N

C&B Member
May 20, 2005
Oslo
Thanks for taking the time to come on our MB and tell us your eye-witness account of the inncident. It's going to be interesting to see what happens in the fall out. Sounds like our team played a great away performance. After our two performances this season, with the alleged bite and this, looks like our two teams are building up quite a reputation with each other.
FAO yeadon I agree with Bantams AnD proud, the guy comes on here to tell us about something we are all curious about, with no intent to insult us and you abuse him. Why?

Mallorcabantam

Torquemada ¿Que Haces?
C&B Member
May 18, 2005
Mallorca, Spain
Yep, thanks for that in-site Steveo, we will have to wait and see what happens, it is usually just the 1 or a few that start things of, see the abuse from Yeadon, which is not warranted

The Master

Wannabee Toff with a cheeky smile
C&B Donator
May 20, 2005
BD19
seems to me the abuse should have been aimed at the Ref then , why take it out on the keeper ? - he does not make the decisions .
Calling you all w ankers with a gesture probably was not right but a straight red ? hmmmmm , It'll all come out anyway - for now it leaves us without Ricketts for a couple of games maybe .
One thing though , we are now only 5 points behind 5th spot i reckon , get the home form sorted and we should make a serious challenge for the play offs.

The Master

Wannabee Toff with a cheeky smile
C&B Donator
May 20, 2005
BD19
One final point , do the stewards at your place allow such abuse to go on with no intervention ? , at VP there would have been several jackets and suits in straight away to calm the crowd down.

Rick

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
Dr Wisey said:
One final point , do the stewards at your place allow such abuse to go on with no intervention ? , at VP there would have been several jackets and suits in straight away to calm the crowd down.
Wisey, at our place if someone coughs there is intervention by the stewards:D

G
The only thing the steward seem to worry about at Roots Hall is people smoking. For the most part they appear to be all very young, very old or very fat. Not ideal for sorting out any trouble.
Also, remember we only came up last year and have a relatively small gorund with an average crowd of about 6000. As a former Premier side I would imagine VP is a lot bigger and has more experience with dealing with big crowds.
To answer B_I_N, your team were a bit disjointed after the sending off but re organised at half time. They let us have the ball most of the 2nd half, and let us use the width of the pitch but anything into the penalty area was dealt with efficiently and you also protected Windass extremely well. Its not difficult to see that Weatheral has played at a higher level.

Wahki Nells

Wahki Nells
C&B Member
May 28, 2005
As a former Premier side I would imagine VP is a lot bigger and has more experience with dealing with big crowds.
And a lot emptier...
...the stewarding is appauling at v.p tho ive got to say i think it was poor at forest as well (blackpool probably beats it but as i wasn't there what can i say??)

Its not difficult to see that Weatheral has played at a higher level.
aye, him, bower and ricketts must be the best defensive trio in the league..

bg

C&B Member
May 19, 2005
They let us have the ball most of the 2nd half, and let us use the width of the pitch but anything into the penalty area was dealt with efficiently and you also protected Windass extremely well. Its not difficult to see that Weatheral has played at a higher level.
Only listened to it on the radio, that is exactly how it sounded. Thanks again for coming on our site and giving a balanced view of what happened. You are welcome any time. I am sorry one fan has decided to abuse you, but thankfully the mods have dealt with it.

It would be nice to think that players would inform the ref if a bad decision has been made, but unfortunately the game is not played that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.