Stuart McCall appreciation thread

Discussion in 'City Talk' started by Ricc, Apr 20, 2017.

1. knightmccall

C&B Full Member

Money
    Ratings:
    +4,500 / 201 / -348
    Favourite Player:
    Barry Gallagher
    First Game:
    V Halifax Town 1981
    Who should we have kept? I don't remember anyone caring too much about the players that were released.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. knightmccall

C&B Full Member

Money
    Ratings:
    +4,500 / 201 / -348
    Favourite Player:
    Barry Gallagher
    First Game:
    V Halifax Town 1981
    Wanting to keep Morris is a hindsight decision; no one cared when he left

• Agree Agree x 11
  3. knightmccall

C&B Full Member

Money
    Ratings:
    +4,500 / 201 / -348
    Favourite Player:
    Barry Gallagher
    First Game:
    V Halifax Town 1981
    Literally nothing more ironic than @Ricc defending an incumbent manager from stupid criticism.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
  4. Tawheed Ali

Tawheed Ali Usual Suspect
    C&B Full Member

Ratings:
    +4,568 / 237 / -302
    Favourite Player:
    -
    First Game:
    Hereford
    To an extend but not completely. I can't be asked finding the thread but the general feel was that he's probably a decent player and he wasn't given many opportunities to showcase his talent, quite similar to Mark Marshall I suppose.

Having said that, nobody including Morris himself would have predicted he would have the phenomenal season he's had.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. WilsdenBantam

C&B Full Member

Ratings:
    +1,463 / 22 / -22
    Favourite Player:
    Lee Mills, McCall. Mezza at present
    First Game:
    Blackpool (H) 96
    For balance of argument, how many points have we gained from losing positions? Without looking I believe it's near the most in the league, the players have to take a lot of the responsibility for chucking so many points away earlier in the season. We created far more chances than most opponents, the players have to take the blame for not putting a lot of them away unless Stuart needs to lace his boots up and finish for them.

6. Offside

Offside If not this season then next
    C&B Donator

fork truck engineer
    Ratings:
    +18,227 / 1,058 / -571
    Favourite Player:
    Dave Evans
    First Game:
    1965 ------- Park Avenue ( i think )
    Thats the problem unlike you ITK experts , we mere mortals have to rely on snippets .

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hendrie FC

C&B Member

Ratings:
    +1,076 / 36 / -32
    Favourite Player:
    John Hendrie
    First Game:
    Tooting and Mitcham FA Cup
    Recall watching City romp the old division 3 in 84/85 with a squad of about 14. If you know your best 11 or so then you stick with it. Even in this league today there are too many prima donas who sulk if they feel 'disrespected' by not playing every week. MacFarland, Cherry, Yorath and Dolan would have just told them to do one.

8. Loud Mouth Bantam

C&B Member

Ratings:
    +1,108 / 29 / -44
    So if I understand this? You claim we were the dominant side. So why have such an issue with the manager that picked the team and the tactics that made us the dominant side.

It's not like he wanted a load of draws.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. park bantam

C&B Full Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +14,878 / 758 / -2,228
    Favourite Player:
    John Hendrie
    First Game:
    Bury 1956
    You say with the players we had we should have done better with the possession.
    However I think what it does show is up front we were not good enough until Christmas after which we affectively we signed a new strikefor since then I think he has delivered.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. BL

BL City Fan Since '86
    C&B Full Member

Ratings:
    +5,747 / 170 / -329
    Favourite Player:
    Stuart McCall
    First Game:
    Grimsby Town
    Decisions on players take a lot longer than two months! You make it sound like it's ages. In reality, it's not.

11. Two Legs

C&B Member

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -7
    Favourite Player:
    Ces Podd
    First Game:
    Looking at the playoffs, can we read anything into our record against the top 10 teams in this league?

I've not spent much time on this but out of the 17 matches played (Rochdale awaits), we've only won 3 of those 17 matches, with no losses against Bolton, Millwall and Bristol Rovers. The record did n't improve that much following the signings of Alex and Charlie.

Despite secretly predicting that we would finish 7th, With 2 games left I am now 'bravely' predicting and expecting we will make the playoffs!!

Playoffs can often be about momentum but our record against the top 10 perhaps does perhaps raise the issue of our big game preparation, mentality and quality.

It looks like it's the playoffs and anything can happen but could this be a signal that penalties await?

12. Bermondsey Bantam

C&B Member

Ratings:
    +4,508 / 174 / -292
    Favourite Player:
    Jamie Lawrence (Past). Reece Burke (Present).
    First Game:
    Bradford vs Southampton
    Sheff united also have enormous promotion wage rises...

13. River_City_Bantam

C&B Full Member

Gentleman and scholar (ret'd)
    Ratings:
    +129 / 8 / -2
    Favourite Player:
    Gavin Oliver
    First Game:
    Can't remember a City-less life...
    I put a more detailed version of this up on the "Strange Stat" thread, but in terms of draws nothing has changed since I updated my post. Of our 18 draws, four were 0-0s, in eight matches we came back to earn the draw, and in six we lost a lead.

In just two of our seven losses did we give up a lead (Fleetwood and Scunthorpe).

From what I can see in my records, we have won five and drawn ten after trailing at any point in a match. Conversely, we have drawn six and lost two after leading at any point in a match. (In the home draws against the Blades and GIlls we both trailed and led.)

From this, I'd argue that we haven't really been throwing away winning positions, and that there is a certain toughness in the side that lets us get something from losing positions. Agreed though that the number of draws is a bit of a problem. But is that balanced out by the knowledge -- for both our players and the opposition -- that we don't lose at home, rarely elsewhere, and usually get something out of a match?

RCB

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Bermondsey Bantam

C&B Member

Ratings:
    +4,508 / 174 / -292
    Favourite Player:
    First Game:
    Bradford vs Southampton
    for me, it isn't a question of simply the draws, or even necessarily losing games from winning positions.

first and foremost - i have massive respect for McCall. for his love of the club and for the transition he has steered us through. yes - he will have had a lot of support (and funding) from behind the scenes, but starting with a very small squad which included some broken morales (Anderson, Marshall) and turning them into a solid league one force is a good achievement. yes - other managers like rosler started at shorter notice with fewer resources, but that doesn't detract from the good job McCall has done. he's on a two year deal, and i would be more than happy to see him see out that time.

however, think of it from McCall's point of view. he was given the job having entirely not expected to get it. he will be extremely grateful for the chance he was given. he was desperate to get back into management, and after 2 years out of a permanent job, he will have been totally thrilled to be back in the game. not to mention, getting back into English management as opposed to Scottish. McCall will look at the job he's done and, like us, be absolutely thrilled with how he's done. from what I've heard, he's desperate to take Bradford back to the championship - be the guy who finally takes us to where we belong. his passion is rooted in achieving that, rather than a long-term plan. linking what I've heard with assessing the situation, he sees this play off campaign as the biggest chance he's ever going to get to do that.

Stuart won't have the authority or autonomy that he wants in a club right now. i would hazard a guess that, at present, he is 'home' but not 'happy'. BUT...he's back in the game. he's back on the map. and whatever happens, he has stamped himself as a credible option to manage clubs at this level. aside motherwell, he's never managed at a club which isn't inextricable from his heart. he will want to test himself, to show that he has more than just pure emotion to offer.

for me, McCall's greatest vice is also his greatest virtue when managing city - his passion for the club. there's no doubt that he has instilled passion and drive into this team, but i do wonder the extent to which he has relied on this approach as opposed to engaging with tactics/organisation. i mean, the 'we don't like working on defending' comment was concerning, and goes some way to explaining why we have such a terrible record against top 8 sides in this decision. no-one can deny that we have been found wanting against the quality sides in this division. it's all very well blowing smoke up the arses of the players when we're struggling to put away a Northampton or a Bury at half time, who we should beat. but out-thinking a Fleetwood or Millwall? that's what we need to get out of this league.

who knows...but the fact that we haven't beaten a top 8 side when each team finished with 11 men makes me seriously doubt our play off credentials. maybe im wrong? im not saying im right. i would personally be more than prepared to let McCall see out his deal and give him a chance to refine the more tactical side of the game next season. but im not the one sat in the boardroom having fallen in love with Bradford city and desperate to pump serious money into the club...exciting times await. 1 thing i won't doubt is that Rahic will do whatever he thinks is best for this club.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Ricc

Ricc Usual Suspect
    C&B Full Member

Ratings:
    +3,397 / 213 / -410
    Favourite Player:
    Stuart McCall
    First Game:
    If you ask me,, (and I'm aware no one has) anyone that thinks Stuart or Bradford City should have performed better this season has completely unrealistic expectations of what is achievable.

for all the upheavel and the bare bones we were down to both in staff and playing staff when Stuart arrived - this season should have been transitional, for a real assault on the play offs and promotion next season, instead, we're two games from the end of the season, barring a spectacular collapse and chain of results, in the play offs, and still have (the slimmest of slim) hopes of automatic promotion.

job well done Stuart. and long may it continue next season and beyond.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  16. CampoamorBantam

C&B Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Favourite Player:
    Bobby Campbell
    First Game:
    1970 Plymouth Argle
    McCall has done a good job in my opinion
    Yes we've had to many draws and he's made tactical mistakes but every Manager does
    Hopefully we will qualify for the Play Offs and take it from there
    I believe should we qualify for the play offs and progress through the two legged semi to Wembley i believe we will win with the players we have and the size of the pitch
    Fingers crossed
    ISWT

17. OnSide

C&B Full Member

Ratings:
    +3,618 / 142 / -124
    Agree completely. All I expected this season was consolidation, to be here is fantastic. We all make mistakes as all the other managers have as well. We have done incredible well. Let's have fun, and who knows where we will be at the end of the season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. Loyal Brighouse Plastic

Loyal Brighouse Plastic Riding the BCAFC roller coaster for over 30 yrs
    C&B Full Member

Ratings:
    +3,084 / 112 / -69
    Favourite Player:
    Peter Beagrie
    First Game:
    87/88 season
    In this spell he has a greater win % than Parky, but a slightly higher proportion of drawn games. Parky's results are over 7x more games than Stuart so it will be interesting to see how this works out over a second season. Overall their results are similar enough that nobody can be unhappy or decry Stuart given that PP was given 5 years and ultimately left voluntarily.
    Good job so far for me, therefore the whole team from Directors through to coaching staff should be looking only at how to improve the squad, the coaching team, tactics and methods to move us forward. There is no case based on results to change anything in relation to the management & coaching staff.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. PGB

PGB
    C&B Full Member

Ratings:
    +6,676 / 301 / -621
    Favourite Player:
    Stuart mccall
    First Game:
    mansfield 82
    I love the man and he's always been someone I look up to since I first started watching city. So let's make his last home league game a bit special and non stop chant his name all the way to a 5-0 win.

STTTTTUUUUUUUAAAAAAARRRRRTTTTTTT

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Bermondsey Bantam

C&B Member

Ratings:
    +4,508 / 174 / -292
    Favourite Player:
    First Game:
    Bradford vs Southampton
    Famous last words