Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The book

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2005
Eccleshill
At last the long awaited book is due to be released in a couple of weeks,
It should make for an interesting read and its candidity should blow the lid on a couple of misconstrued thoughts on events in the recent past.

The Bradford City Story: The Pain and the Glory
David Markham and Lindsay Sutton

Bradford City has had a rollercoaster existence over the past few years. Two long-awaited, high-profile seasons in the premiership. Two separate periods in administration. Too exhausting by far. This book not only gives the low-down on the realities behind the scenes, but it also reveals the stories behind the stories. The personalities, the clashes, the tensions, the differing opinions, the finacial facts.

The recent era when chairman Geoffrey Richmond pulled the strings is centre stage: nearly nine years of boom and eventual bust. Each of his managers, and the Rhodes family who funded his drive to the top, reveal what it was like to work with this driven man. Richmond, in turn, gives his first interview since he left the club, defending his decisions, his financial rewards, admitting his mistakes and passing judgement on those who served under him.

They pull no punches either. Frank Stapleton, Lennie Lawrence, Chris Kamara, Paul Jewell, Chris Hutchings, Terry Yorath and Jim Jeffries tell it as they saw it. Present chairman Julian Rhodes talks candidly about his family’s involvement with Geoffrey Richmond, and the multi-million pound legacy they have had to deal with.

The book also weaves together a season-by-season commentary covering every year since the club’s birth in 1903, alongside key player profiles. It is a must read for any inquisitive soccer fan.

The centenery book is having a press launch in The Victoria Hotel on Thursday
2nd February.
Apparently the book won't be on sale in the club shop and won't be launched at VP!!
Perhap JP could answer why this is so on the questions section of the OMB

May 21, 2005
Eccleshill
I don't know the time of the event, I'm sure it will be announced in the local press.
It has been suggested though certainly not confirmed, that players will attend for signed copies of the book.

However, Authors David Markham and Lindsay Sutton will be giving a pre-match talk in the VP museum at 1.30pm on Saturday 18th March. Though it's not known if they'll be able to sell and sign books on the day.

May 20, 2005
Johnny Yen said:
At last the long awaited book is due to be released in a couple of weeks,
It should make for an interesting read and its candidity should blow the lid on a couple of misconstrued thoughts on events in the recent past.

The Bradford City Story: The Pain and the Glory
David Markham and Lindsay Sutton

Bradford City has had a rollercoaster existence over the past few years. Two long-awaited, high-profile seasons in the premiership. Two separate periods in administration. Too exhausting by far. This book not only gives the low-down on the realities behind the scenes, but it also reveals the stories behind the stories. The personalities, the clashes, the tensions, the differing opinions, the finacial facts.

The recent era when chairman Geoffrey Richmond pulled the strings is centre stage: nearly nine years of boom and eventual bust. Each of his managers, and the Rhodes family who funded his drive to the top, reveal what it was like to work with this driven man. Richmond, in turn, gives his first interview since he left the club, defending his decisions, his financial rewards, admitting his mistakes and passing judgement on those who served under him.

They pull no punches either. Frank Stapleton, Lennie Lawrence, Chris Kamara, Paul Jewell, Chris Hutchings, Terry Yorath and Jim Jeffries tell it as they saw it. Present chairman Julian Rhodes talks candidly about his family’s involvement with Geoffrey Richmond, and the multi-million pound legacy they have had to deal with.

The book also weaves together a season-by-season commentary covering every year since the club’s birth in 1903, alongside key player profiles. It is a must read for any inquisitive soccer fan.

The centenery book is having a press launch in The Victoria Hotel on Thursday
2nd February.
Apparently the book won't be on sale in the club shop and won't be launched at VP!!
Perhap JP could answer why this is so on the questions section of the OMB

Sounds to me like it should be re-titled....

Bradford City...The Whitewash!

panther

C&B Member
May 23, 2005
Saltaire (for now)
Well I ordered two when they were first offered for sale but as yet I havent had a refund like some on the omb !

Not that I want one, I just want the books !!

youngbill

C&B Member
May 25, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Like others on here I was surprised that after all this time, we were to be sent refunds. Being a cynical bloke, after hearing that it will now be released this week,I would venture to say that the price will be somewhat more than the 20 quid (sorry-no pound signs on our keyboards downunder). I have checked the OMB and JP has answered to say that it is now not a Club project------- the authors are doing it themselves. Cheers. PS-I too have yet to receive my cheque.

The Master

Wannabee Toff with a cheeky smile
C&B Donator
May 20, 2005
BD19
so will i , maybe the Tardis will arrive with the Doctor as well , he'll want a copy for sure :)

May 21, 2005
Eccleshill
For anyone wishing to go, fans are allowed in to the book launch at 6pm at The Victoria Hotel on Thursday 2nd February.
The official launch for the press starts at 5pm.

It seems that the club are distancing themselves from this publication, however, there's still contributory articles from JR,
I assumed it was going to be called 'The Bradford City centenary book'.
not 'the pain and the glory'
Again it seems that this publication is not in the same vain as the club wanted the official book.
I imagine they'll be some frank views from all parties.
Perhaps some not the official line from he club, thus the fact it isn't on sale in the club shop.
Which is a shame.
I have since preordered my copy from Amazon.co.uk.
Although, Authors Markham and Sutton will be holding a disscussion on the book in the Museum at VP prior to the Oldham game, it will be interesting to see if copy's are allowed to be sold at the club that day.

May 20, 2005
king billy said:
With none of the proceeds going to the club - he don't even have an excuse!!!! :D
When I've established they don't and it's not a typical pander to the Rhodes because of their "uber supporter" status I'll purchase my copy. I'm sure there'll be plenty available.

May 20, 2005
Zonnebloem said:
Sounds to me like it has taken steps to avoid The Whitewash. Why should a book about a club have to pass the club's censors?
Why would the personalities currently involved with the Club want it censored??

Status
Not open for further replies.