Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Vale beat Brentford..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barmy

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
Leicester
A howler by Brentford keeper Stuart Nelson handed Port Vale a 1-0 win that allowed them to move into second in League One.

Nelson was dismayed when a weak Michael Cummins shot dribbled under his body and into the back of the net, as Vale became the first side to take a point off Brentford.

A goal-less first half had seen Brentford impress through the opening half hour, but Port Vale battle their way back into the match.

Dudley 'DJ' Campbell was looking lively and had already given the opposition a warning when he went down in the box on 23 but was denied a penalty by referee Colin Webster.

But, with Brentford looking the more dangerous, Vale finally got a foothold in proceedings, and Billy Paynter nearly capitalised from a long ball, escaping from Sam Sodje but dragging his shot wide across the face of goal.

Paynter's physical presence was causing problems, and Bees keeper Nelson had to be quick on his feet to get out and block from the forward.

Nelson undid his good work early in the second half, however, failing to get down to a speculative Cummins effort from the edge of the box on 52.

Cummins, clearly in the mood, tried for a second, but this time Nelson was equal to his effort as Vale took the lion's share of possession.

Sodje powered a header in as Brentford tried to level, but Mark Goodlad was always behind the effort.

Brentford's misery was compounded when manager Martin Allen was sent from the dugout after a heated discussion with the fourth official.

O'Connor should have done better after being played in by Isaiah Rankine, but fired into the side netting, whilst, at the other end, Vale threatened to gain the second goal that would have taken them top but could not quite find the finish.

Brentford thought they had rescued a share of the points in injury time, but Scott Fitzgerald's bundled effort was ruled out for a foul by Sodje.

-----------------------------

That shock result pushes us down to 5th int table.

G
I think Vale may prove a surprise package you know. Despite their poor overall position they were a tricky team last season to say the least. Would not surprise me if they were to mount a cheeky playoff challenge. But then again it would not surprise me if they were to be relegated.

IF we are promoted and i were to pick which teams i wanted to join us in the Championship i would choose Vale and Donny Rovers. Vale because i want them on an even keel with Stoke City, as Vale have normally been the smallest team in Stoke i would welcome them to swap places sith Sjoke City.

Donny Rovers because their fans seem a good lot on the whole and after those years suffering in the conference it would be nice for them to enjoy some success for a change.

Indeed for the moment it appears as though the league is wide open though. First and second place still up for grabs then, lets aim as high as possible even though at the end of the day i'd be chuffed with sixth place.

Status
Not open for further replies.