Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

What a difference a decent keeper makes

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2005
The amount of times I heard the commentators say Ricketts had come and safely collected the ball was unbelievable, we'd have probably drawn or lost that game with Haworth in goal, get MBW back fit and playoffs here we come!

G
Aye, you could never really tell how much of an impact Recketts made before but when you have a dodgy keeper between the sticks for a couple of months you realise The Don is a decentish keeper.

G
What was it 7 games witthout keeping a clean sheet with Howarth in goal?

Now as soon as Ricketts comes back we get a clean sheet! Sh*t myself though when they said he was injured and we didn't have a keeper on the bench!

Ed

Megalomaniac
Administrator
May 18, 2005
This poor lad Howarth get's some stick.

Do people fail to mention he was part of the team that went 6 un-beaten? or best run in 4 years?

May 21, 2005
Best run in 4 years...wasn't exactly hard to do bearing in mind our last 4 years Ed! :eek:

Nearly every goal Haworth let in you couldn't help but feel he should have done better. Blackpool, Colchester, Huddersfield...

Theres no doubting he's a good shot stopper but on its own that isn't good enough, has anyone told him he CAN shout at his defenders? Or that he CAN come for crosses? If he could do those two things he'd be a decent (ish) keeper but he can't, which IMO makes him a below average goalie.

It's no coincidence in my eyes that we kept a clean sheet with Ricketts back in goal.

Ed

Megalomaniac
Administrator
May 18, 2005
Howarth is a very young keeper, with good prospects.

Howarth is this season's Lee Crooks. We can't bash him cos' he's doing good so we'll go look elsewhere. I know, we'll pick that young lad tween the sticks.

Sure he's not been a world class keeper, but then he's not entirely to blame is he? Bower hasn't displayed the form he did last season nor has wethers and if Howarth had been behind those two last season we'd of seen a very different player in Howarth.

I harped on all last season about Lee Crooks, everyone laughed .... now look, most improved player this season.

last season we went on a 5 game unbeaten run, Todd got manager of the month for that run. People are always looking for a scape goat and this season it's Howarth closely followed by Holloway.

Judging by what i heard (not seen) Howarth would of probably of come away with a cleansheet also.

Sterling Archer

I really envy those who have never met you.
C&B Member
May 21, 2005
Economic traveling migrant
Hes exactly what we got him for ..

A young back up keeper with bags of potential..

He has lots to learn but excels in some areas already, as long as he continues to progress then we will have a very good young keeper on our books who will push DR for a 1st team slot next year...

May 24, 2005
Between the devil and deep blue sea!
tony d said:
Hes exactly what we got him for ..

A young back up keeper with bags of potential..

He has lots to learn but excels in some areas already, as long as he continues to progress then we will have a very good young keeper on our books who will push DR for a 1st team slot next year...

Did "your mates who go" give you that opinion Tone?.....:D

G
Howarth has been known for poor command of his area and not coming for crosses throughout his career...thats four years if you count his days at York, why should he get any better?

May 24, 2005
Between the devil and deep blue sea!
Dbantx said:
Howarth has been known for poor command of his area and not coming for crosses throughout his career...thats four years if you count his days at York, why should he get any better?
NOOOOOOOooooo don't dare say that Dan.....the master, the gimp and Tony's "mates that go" think differently.....

*tonyd's "mates that go"*

Ed

Megalomaniac
Administrator
May 18, 2005
As a fellow goalkeeper I can see the potential in Howarth but he needs the right coach behind him. He needs confidence also.

I watched him warming up before the colchester game and he looked confussed by what they were trying to get him todo. They seemed to always hook the ball under his cross bar for him to catch when he was shouting put it by the penalty spot. Owen Morrison then took the ball away from that old guy who does the crosses and whipped them into the penalty spot and he said thanks! so it looks like Howarth is wanting to get it right but just isn't getting the help he needs to build his confidence.

A goalkeeper is a real confidence player, people talk about strikers needing confidence but Goalies need it too. IF theres any doubt shown by anyone in the squad you'll start to doubt yourself and will always play the cautious game.

The thing Ricketts has is lots of confidence in himself, even if he get's it wrong he'll try again and again until he gets it right. Howarth isn't from the same mould and needs someone to take him to one side and give him a pep talk.

Sterling Archer

C&B Member
May 21, 2005
Dbantx said:
Considering he is only 23, that keepers dont hit their prime until they are around 26+ at least...4 years ago he was only 19 trying to be a first team keeper...

Those for starters..... How many first team keepers are they in all leagues at this age???????

Wrosemary with a funny picture how unfunny from the man who was just moaning on another thread about the same thing... tut tut Mary...

BTW i do not have any peat pog dwelling friends...Sorry to ruin your picture.....Facts mate... Not that they mean owt to you Matey...

May 20, 2005
It's a corker Googling innit?? "I typed in what would the Bantams Bar Top Table have looked like on matchday were it there, pre Wembley season?" And it gave me this;

Sterling Archer

C&B Member
May 21, 2005
ChuckleBantam said:
It's a corker Googling innit?? "I typed in what would the Bantams Bar Top Table have looked like on matchday were it there, pre Wembley season?" And it gave me this;

Surely not Chuckles not these life blooders who are soooo quick to shoot people down...

Especially not Mr "i can guarantee ive been to more games then you ever have... Btw way who are you again????":D :p ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.