Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Where is it going wrong?

Where is it going Wrong?

• The loss of Ricketts to injury is the problem

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The loss of Bridge-Wilkinson to injury is the problem

• We are expecting too much

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
After a good start to the season where has it started to go wrong and who have we missed the most?

Is it the managers tactics, is it the loss of Ricketts, is it the loss of Bridge-Wilkinson or are we simply expecting to much by thinking we can beat teams like Yeovil at home?

Discuss.

Rick

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
We have a team on paper that I'm confident can make the play-offs and expecting to beat teams like Southend, Bournemouth and Yeovil at home isn't expecting too much.
I have a couple of problems with a few of Todd's tactics but think he has done an excellent job with no money.
The main problem though is that without Marc Bridge-Wilkinson we suddenly change from a good side to a poor side. I didn't think one man could make such a difference but after seeing the second half against Bournemouth, the Blackpool game and the Yeovil game when we played without flair and never really looked like scoring, and add to that the game in between where we beat Chesterfield comfortably creating many chances and it points to the fact that one man does make a difference.

G
My memory is shot....sign of getting old I guess but I do remember that we didn't have MBW when we went on a straight run of five victories around October last season.
We were in the top two and supporters were raving about our chances for promotion.

With the squad we have we should be able to be in a similar position without MBW although I would love to have him play everygame.

Remind me....who was playing alongside Schuey that period last season?

How was Buzzer playing?

Was it Todds tactics or motivational qualities that drove us on or was it a desire and belief from the players themselves?

What has changed?

We should not be a one man team should we....whether that man be MBW, Windass or Holloway(joke).

Maybe Todd needs to look at himself and his squad and think what he is doing differently and the players should hold some responsibilty for indifferent home form also.

Rick

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
I agree we shouldn't be a one man team but without Bridge-Wilkinson we don't seem to have a cutting edge or any idea of breaking down teams.

G
Thorney said:
I agree we shouldn't be a one man team but without Bridge-Wilkinson we don't seem to have a cutting edge or any idea of breaking down teams.
That doesn't answer the question of how we managed that run last season with the same central midfield players available minus MBW.

Apart from the ex Stockport player the central midfield choices are the same!

G
beerbantam said:
Schuey n Kearney are a good midfield combo - and played well early last year. Dont forget we also had Summerbee's creativity/crossing ability in the team as well which is where a lot of our assists came from.
As good as BMW is, he only has replaced Summerbee for creativity. Think how little we would have created last year without Summerbee!!!
Ok...so we now have Muirhead on the right...not as productive as Buzzer but still causing problems and usually taking two or three defenders with him.....but it's just not happening this season like last....time after time when the ball comes into the strikers from right or sometimes left and it's cleared, it's the opposition who pick up the pieces because Todd has the midfield too deep.....Todd has messed with his tactics...he's playing flat across the middle waiting for holes to appear instead of making them....
Petta rightly got some grief last Saturday but we needed to vary the play....use the wings by all means but it all becomes too predictable....
That's where we need a combatant central midfield to receive/win the ball (kearney/crooks) and get beyond the front pairing (Schuey).
Yes! MBW has the vision and skill to make things happen but we should not have to rely on him....we have the players to do a job as proved last season....they just need to used correctly.

Todd was a defender and he is too defensive minded and I fear if he sticks to his modus operandi, even with MBW, we will finish only mid table at best..

Wahki Nells

Wahki Nells
C&B Member
May 28, 2005
another problem is that we are far to predictable up front, weve no pace and so teams just play their defensive line high up knowing that we will never beat them for pace. That usually kills the game and we look boring and cant buy a goal.........Todd needs to think about his position i think

Status
Not open for further replies.