Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Which would you prefer..

City matches, which would you prefer

• Entertaining highscoreing defeats

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Master

Wannabee Toff with a cheeky smile
C&B Donator
May 20, 2005
BD19
lol , the total sort of supports Todds footie ! , I always like to see the team keep a clean sheet - but that can stilll equate to entertainment if the tactics employed allow it.
I am still hopeful we can achieve suiccess in some form this season , but we need to see wins at HOME to bring the punters back - our away form is excellent in terms of results.

The Master

C&B Donator
May 20, 2005
BD19
maybe yes if the home form does not improve , more defeats at VP will equal smaller crowds and less Income - and JR would be forced to do something other than stick his fingers in his ears , singing "LAL LALLA LLALL LA" loudly and relying on JImbo to come out with some uninspiring small talk. :)

Ed

Megalomaniac
Administrator
May 18, 2005
I know we are still up around the playoff pack but even a non city fan could tell that Julian won't be happy.

The more bore draws and defeats at home will stop punters coughing up cash, This month is going to be really hard for the club and probably January.

We have 9 games in 27 days ... Now if we loose one or two at home your going to loose i'd say at least 1000 bums on seats due to the fact it's christmas. That will leave the club out of pocket for December and as they try make up the difference in January it will once again leave a shortfall.

Todd this month more than ever needs to get bums on seats and if we fall behind the pack more, play naff at home ..... expect some wholesale changes in January.

Wahki Nells

Wahki Nells
C&B Member
May 28, 2005
I know we are still up around the playoff pack but even a non city fan could tell that Julian won't be happy.

The more bore draws and defeats at home will stop punters coughing up cash, This month is going to be really hard for the club and probably January.

We have 9 games in 27 days ... Now if we loose one or two at home your going to loose i'd say at least 1000 bums on seats due to the fact it's christmas. That will leave the club out of pocket for December and as they try make up the difference in January it will once again leave a shortfall.

Todd this month more than ever needs to get bums on seats and if we fall behind the pack more, play naff at home ..... expect some wholesale changes in January.
correct!

I'd rather be entertained by high scoring losses than be become dead watching the drivel that is city bore 1-0 wins at home..

Zonnebloem

C&B Member
May 25, 2005
Belgian Flanders
A lot of these polls only offer you 2 choices, like "would you prefer to walk barefoot for 5 minutes on burning coals or on rusty upturned razor blades?"

I know the point is about whether results are more important than fancy football but a decent level of attacking football may just lead to success on the pitch.

A couple of figures. Only Barnsley can equal City's defensive record of 18 goals conceded But only Gillingham and Swindon have scored fewer than City's 21 goals, of which only 9 in our 10 home matches.

City are bottom of the league of total goals scored (either side) during their matches by 5 clear goals. There have only been 39 goals in City's 20 league games so far. This shows the lack of ambition and entertainment for City supporters so far this season. There have been 68 in Scunny's and Swansea's matches. At least they're seeing some action.

I vote for positive football giving positive results, not an either/or question.

king billy

C&B Member
May 24, 2005
Between the devil and deep blue sea!
Zonnebloem said:
A lot of these polls only offer you 2 choices, like "would you prefer to walk barefoot for 5 minutes on burning coals or on rusty upturned razor blades?"

I know the point is about whether results are more important than fancy football but a decent level of attacking football may just lead to success on the pitch.

A couple of figures. Only Barnsley can equal City's defensive record of 18 goals conceded But only Gillingham and Swindon have scored fewer than City's 21 goals, of which only 9 in our 10 home matches.

City are bottom of the league of total goals scored (either side) during their matches by 5 clear goals. There have only been 39 goals in City's 20 league games so far. This shows the lack of ambition and entertainment for City supporters so far this season. There have been 68 in Scunny's and Swansea's matches. At least they're seeing some action.

I vote for positive football giving positive results, not an either/or question.
Excellent post Nigel - points which some of the folk on here totally miss!!

baldbantam

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
Zonnebloem said:
I think I prefer the burning coals, all things considered :D

What you are referring to is known as a 'false dichotomy', ie the provision of only 2 options when there are multiple answers available.

My own answer was that I would prefer the wins, because ultimately the division that we are in appears to be the factor that has the greatest affect on attendance, and hence on income, and hence on player purchases and general good things happening.

However, you need to have patience. These things rarely happen overnight. For me, the starting point is being difficult to beat, and we seem to have that. To a large extent that gives the platform that avoids relegation, and acts as a base level that we can build on.

As a Club, both on the pitch and off it, we no longer appear to be in freefall. That is a GOOD THING. The climb back up may be steady rather than meteoric, but that is not necessarilly a bad thing either - a level acheived through steady growth is more likely to be sustainable than one achieved through a roller coaster ride.

It becomes a bit of a broken record, but it is valid nonetheless, to remind us all that the last few years have been difficult. Expectations have to be framed with some recognition of where we have been for the recent past. There appears to be little prospect of any substantial funds being injected for team building, so I see no real reason to expect massive leaps in performance.

king billy

C&B Member
May 24, 2005
Between the devil and deep blue sea!
No-one expects "massive leaps in peformance" Baldy - what we do expect is an undoubted talented squad to perform to the best of their ability - weve only peformed to that extent half a dozen times this season - not acceptable, whatever year or period you want to compare it to!! Giving less than 100% is totally and absolutely not acceptable - never, ever has been in my book!!
Giving 100% and playing to our strengths would see us fairly comfortably into the play-offs IMO, if it didn't then fair enough, weve give it our best shot - but what weve been seeing this season is too many 60% performances......as the saying goes - you can't put a square peg into a round hole, and that is exactly what Todd has been doing this season - we have an attack minded squad with creative players - stifling that is stupid and is what is frustrating the fans - the performance at Barnsley was excellent because "we went for it" - Schooey, Bridgey, Mozza, Petta, Muirhead and Cadders are all creative attack minded players - to bring the best out of em we need TO ATTACK not rocket science is it?...

Rick

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
My Two Cents

Firstly it's a no brainer given the options above, everyone would like to see boring 1-0 wins every single week, because at the end of the day fans don't care as long as the team wins, and if you won 1-0 every week you'd soon be promoted.

The problem is because of the set up of this poll it doesn't give a fair reflection because City don't win 1-0 every week by playing boring football, they tend to lose and draw, especially at home playing in this style.

The fact these boring 1-0 wins are so few and far between is the reason fans aren't happy, we tend to watch garbage with no end result.

What I will say is fans are happy with 2 things.

1. Victories or
2. If we lose or draw they at least expect to see the side go for it, create chances, give 100%.

If we see either of these week in week out, there will be no complaints from anyone but as we tend to see neither the groans will only get louder.

Rick

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
Just out of interest if the defeats we suffered this season we're all from performances like we put in at Barnsley in the FA Cup would you be happier that you are now?

Personally I didn't see the game but I find defeat easier to take if we play well. The defeat at Stockport some years ago when they were rock bottom is the worse performance I have ever seem and I was fuming, but the defeat against Huddersfield this season was easier to take as I felt we played well even if we didn't get a result.
To me if a team puts in 100% and loses then I will walk away satisfied, if a team wonders round the pitch and doesn't look like they care, somthing which has happened several times this season then thats totally different.

Barmy

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
Leicester
Rick said:
To me if a team puts in 100% and loses then I will walk away satisfied, if a team wonders round the pitch and doesn't look like they care, somthing which has happened several times this season then thats totally different.
Would have to agree with all of that Rick.

The Master

C&B Donator
May 20, 2005
BD19
like seagulls following the trawler in stormy waters and a bad catch onboard - all adds up to little to get excited about :)

Status
Not open for further replies.