Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Who would you want as chairman from the past lot who've been involved?

Who would you want as Chairman?

• Professor Rhodes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jim Brown

• Gordon Gibb

• Geoffrey Richmond

• David Simpson

• Jack Tordoff

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

baldbantam

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
As GR's '6 weeks of madness' fades away in to the past, maybe we can look back with a little more perspective now.

Let's imagine that you can appoint any of the following choices to be Chairman of Bradford City for the next 5 years. Who would you rather have?

Let's presume that none of them are going to put any of their own money in - they are looking for the club to be self funding. The only money that can be involved is what the club can raise itself.

Your choices:

Julian Rhodes
Professor Rhodes
Jim Brown
Gordon Gibb
Geoffrey Richmond
David Simpson
Jack Tordoff

Vote for your choice and post your reasoning.

I'd have GR back in a flash. It might have all gone wrong in the Premiership, but the 5 or 6 years prior to that were the best this club has ever known. The position we are in now is very similar to the position we were in when GR walked in the door, and he would know how to get us out of it. I know it's never going to happen, but it would be the best news this Club could receive to hear that GR had through some wierd machinations come back in as Chairman.

panther

C&B Member
May 23, 2005
Saltaire (for now)
Just did !

believe me I lived/worked thru it and it was the best eva time !! the whole club had a togetherness, players/management and staff !! oh and the results were ok too!!

cant take that away from me can u Tone !!! matey !

Hail King Geoff(sorry Ranger;) )

He'd sort this club out NOW!

Me & Beer walked into the BB today without relinqueshing our tickets, the doors were un-manned FFS:eek:

imagine GR letting that happen?:rolleyes:

Aug 8, 2005
Queensbury
GR, He completly turned the club around and brought a feel good factor to the club. GR had a knack of making everyone connected to the club believe that anything was possible and it was that attitude that drove the club onwards. He took us to wembley and the premier league and no matter what nearly happened to the club I wouldn't swap those 5 or 6 years for anything. They were without doubt the best years of following Bradford City.

queensbury bantam said:
GR, He completly turned the club around and brought a feel good factor to the club. GR had a knack of making everyone connected to the club believe that anything was possible and it was that attitude that drove the club onwards. He took us to wembley and the premier league and no matter what nearly happened to the club I wouldn't swap those 5 or 6 years for anything. They were without doubt the best years of following Bradford City.
Spot on QB, Feel Good Factor;)
If anyone votes other than that , they've probably got Gulf War Syndrome!;) :D

TSSB

C&B Member
Jun 6, 2005
South Shields
I voted for geoffrey richmond his heart was in the right place, Although given the chance i would have voted for stafford higginbotham he never really had a lot of money to put into his beloved city but he did care about the club and its fans

The South Shields Bantam said:
I voted for geoffrey richmond his heart was in the right place, Although given the chance i would have voted for stafford higginbotham he never really had a lot of money to put into his beloved city but he did care about the club and its fans
Never a truer word spoken mate, Stafford was a City fan but didn't have the finances, sadly I think the "Fire" claimed him as another victim:mad: , GR made mistakes for 1 season out off 6 & they were catastrophic for the club:(
But his & Stafford's intentions were in the right place, can the boardroom(minus JR) say that now?:eek: :mad:

The Master

Wannabee Toff with a cheeky smile
C&B Donator
May 20, 2005
BD19
It would have to be the Fat Controller for he made the rest of footie take us seriously , only losing the plot over PJ and then putting Hutch in when we needed a man who knew the Prem League - from then on everything went against us inc ITV Digital .

Going to VP today I had a flat almost uninterested feeling , none of the buzz remains now - It will need something new to recreate that aura .

CT is like damage limitation man gone extreme , JR like the peeka boo find me if you can chairman and most of the rest i would say would be out of the door should someone like GR get some real influence - our one hope at the moment off the field is maybe Etherington will be able to get some real power and be able to kick ass - christ we need it down at VP - miserable faces , thicko's serving in the shop and a real basement league atmosphere :-(

The Master

Wannabee Toff with a cheeky smile
C&B Donator
May 20, 2005
BD19
Stafford H was City through and through , like Tordoff - but my personal feelings for the 2 are very different - Stafford was the man for me.

B_i_N

C&B Member
May 20, 2005
Oslo
I don't deny that GR brought Bradford City from anonimity to world attention. Sure in the early seasons there was a feelgood factor I only ever felt in the season we almost reached the old First division. However don't forget that this is the man who chose to come to Bradford City "For the number of television arieals in the city" compaired to the number at Scarborough. He saw Bradford City as a potential money machine.
Don't any of you forget that this is the man who told the manager after he had kept City in the Premiership against all the odds "that if we'd been relegated I would have recommended to the board your dismisal." This was the same man who entered Bradford in the intertoto against Jagger's advice and undermined his authority. Yes people, look at Wigan now and weep, because with the money Richmond spend after Jagger's departure, what could have been?
Most importantly GR is the man who tried to rob Bradford City from us the fans, when he led the club into administration after his own madness, greed and ego had ruined the club.
Richmond is now a bankrupt has been, but his family have benefited from L666s Utd. Bradford City is still suffering his legacy and trying to pick up the pieces he left behind.
Sorry all I have for that man is contempt. The price we've paid for one season in the premiership which was amazing. The second was humiliating. In retrospect I wish we'd never gone up and Richmond had found some other club instead of Bradford City.

baldbantam

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
You didn't vote though BiN. Go on, stick a vote in.

Also, far as I was concerned the Premiership was the icing on the cake, but it was in no sense the biggest part of the cake. Tis better to travel hopefully than to arrive, and I enjoyed the journey of the previous 5 years far more than the actual time in the Premiership. The buzz of knowing that the club had ambition and direction is what I miss, and that was there from the moment GR walked in the door till the moment he went. It hasn't been there since.

lino

C&B Member
May 25, 2005
BD17
6 weeks of madness my arse!
5 years of single minded, ruthless planning more like.
Charismatic, incredibly talented but his main drive was making the club ripe enough to pluck when it couldn't produce any more.
The guy couldn't give a flying fck about the club, other than it's ability to provide him with a big fat dividend.
He was a marketing magician and he was the ultimate puppet master..and there are still too many puppets pining after him after they have long been forgotten!
He achieved his goal. To build the club up to its potential then sell the whole fcking lot down the swanee. Shame he couldn't do the same at l**ds.
Richmond, Fotherby, Levi and co. All from the same mould and beneath contempt as far as I'm concerned.

Aug 8, 2005
Queensbury
BiN said:
In retrospect I wish we'd never gone up and Richmond had found some other club instead of Bradford City.

A lot of L***s fans i know say simalar things about Peter Ridsdale but would they honestly have rather missed out on the champions league and instead be a lower half premier league team EVERY year. I think not and its the same with City. IMHO 99% of fans would gladly take the glory years all over again even in hindsight, because those few years gave us more highs than i have seen in the other 20 odd years i have been watching City. During those years we saw true WORLD CLASS players playing at VP and one or two even wore the famous claret and amber, how many would have dared to believe that could happen when GR was installed? GR made our dreams a reality so i guess we can learn to live with a nightmare or two!

baldbantam said:
You didn't vote though BiN. Go on, stick a vote in.

Also, far as I was concerned the Premiership was the icing on the cake, but it was in no sense the biggest part of the cake. Tis better to travel hopefully than to arrive, and I enjoyed the journey of the previous 5 years far more than the actual time in the Premiership. The buzz of knowing that the club had ambition and direction is what I miss, and that was there from the moment GR walked in the door till the moment he went. It hasn't been there since.
Spot on Baldy!
I'd rather have lived the dream than never had one in the first place;) GR gave us hope, whatever his motives, we could do with some Leadership now, rather than the muggers in the boardroom:mad:
Sooner have a ripe Chicken to pluck than a scabby Sparrow!
Anyone mentions GR on here & theres near anarchy, yet the same people choose to ignore the present incubents at VP:mad: ....strange that, Isnt it?:rolleyes:

bg

C&B Member
May 19, 2005
lino said:
6 weeks of madness my arse!
5 years of single minded, ruthless planning more like.
Charismatic, incredibly talented but his main drive was making the club ripe enough to pluck when it couldn't produce any more.
The guy couldn't give a flying fck about the club, other than it's ability to provide him with a big fat dividend.
He was a marketing magician and he was the ultimate puppet master..and there are still too many puppets pining after him after they have long been forgotten!
He achieved his goal. To build the club up to its potential then sell the whole fcking lot down the swanee. Shame he couldn't do the same at l**ds.
Richmond, Fotherby, Levi and co. All from the same mould and beneath contempt as far as I'm concerned.
Agree totally with everything you have said Lino. His aspirations for the club have never been in question, but his reason for wanting the club to do well are in my view.
Of course it would be madness not to be in the prem and the journey there was incredible, but for me different decisions and a different set of motves might well have seen us in a much better position now.

JR might well not be as talented as GR in media promotion, and presenting the club as a potential money earner, but he is still with us, hanging on in there and doing his best, and succeeding; for every year we have a club, I consider it a success. Just because he is not always in your face and on TV does not mean he does not have this clubs blood running threw his veins.

lino

C&B Member
May 25, 2005
BD17
The present encumbents have stuck around to try to rescue a dire situation, and don't forget that they were brought by GR because they were fans and to put their own money in, something our previous "hero" would never do.
They at least have had the b*lls to try to rectify the mess the club was in.
We were nothing more than a vehicle to fuel GR's ego and greed.

Status
Not open for further replies.