Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Your thought's on why our home form is so dire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
Colin Todd openly admits he doesn't understand why our home form is so poor so I just wondered if anyone could shed any light on why a visit to Valley Parade these days is as entertaining as watching Audley Harrison in a boxing Match.

I'll start the ball rolling with my thoughts on the matter.

Firstly we are set up at Home just like we are set up away from home, which is a problem.
Away from home we are able to break on the team as they come to us and we use the space and mount breakaways and counter attacks. At home this can't happen especially against the lesser teams due to the fact they are content to sit back and soak up the pressure and at time have all 11 players in their own half. We are playing into the oppositions hands because of this as it allows them to play for the point they are more than happy with. It is no coincidence that the only teams this formation works against are the teams who come to Valley Parade to attack, and as we all know we are pretty good against teams who come to Valley Parade to attack, the problem is those who simply come to defend, the ones that make Todd spit his dummy out like Colchester, etc. A more attacking formation, different ideas or the inclusion of players who want to play for the club rather than just draw a wage are need in these home games.

Then we have the substitutions which are strange to say the least. In our last two home games, games we have been behind with 10min or so to go we have been two negative in trying to gain a point or better.
Against Hartlepool we put Wetherall up front for the last 10min when we had Cooke and Claridge on the bench, will someone please tell me the thought behind this as I don't understand it.
Against Rotherham we took Cooke off and put Claridge on, a like for like substitution when we were losing, we then proceeded to create just 1 chance in 10 min effectively handing the game to Rotherham. Taking off a defender in my opinion would of been a much better option showing that we were going for it and I will assure you we would of created more than 1 chance in the last 10 min.

For me I wouldn't mind seeing a 3-5-2 formation or a 4-3-3 to try and attack these teams who are content with just defending.

If I was in charge of City against a team like Colchester or Rotherham I would pick a formation that would pressure them, try get a goal early and make them come out of their defensive formation.

The problem is Todd is set in his ways and won't try to change anything, we will always play the same and as we do we will lose to the teams we should be beating.

Rick

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
I'd have to find a place for Taylor, he has been one of the most consistant players this season, and on current for I'd find it hard to put Muirhead in the side but the idea of deano in midfield is a good one, I'm going to cheat and use the BBC website to show my formation, see below

May 20, 2005
I think we can go on & on about tactics, motivation, formations and effort till we're blue in the face.

One of the reasons in my opinion why the home form is so poor is down to the lack of width of the playing area (one of the narrowest in the entire league)
Away teams find it a lot easier to condense the play and then it us on the break while we're pushing forad.
We are a lot more effective on wider pitches and traditionally always have been.

If memory serves me, the pitch at VP was narrowed considerably to occomodate the building of Midland Road stand.

Take a few rows of the front of each stand and widen the pitch.

Your Uncle Norm knows best........think about it.

briggus

C&B Member
May 27, 2005
Brighouse
NormanCorner said:
I think we can go on & on about tactics, motivation, formations and effort till we're blue in the face.

One of the reasons in my opinion why the home form is so poor is down to the lack of width of the playing area (one of the narrowest in the entire league)
Away teams find it a lot easier to condense the play and then it us on the break while we're pushing forad.
We are a lot more effective on wider pitches and traditionally always have been.

If memory serves me, the pitch at VP was narrowed considerably to occomodate the building of Midland Road stand.

Take a few rows of the front of each stand and widen the pitch.

Your Uncle Norm knows best........think about it.
Agree Norm - that our pitch could do with a little bit more width ala Deepdale (though physically impossible). Did not N Law reduced it further? I presume it was returned to its normal width after he left? We could afford to remove seats in terms of that that they are many not filled the only other alternative is we move to a new ground - not that popular with some?

However we should be used to playing with the dimensions we have and use it to our advantage. It is the oppostion teams that are used to wider pitches who should find it more difficult - I thought this gave us some advantage when in the prem - the first season.

Perhaps CT should have an hard look at his tatics he employs at home.

Wahki Nells

Wahki Nells
C&B Member
May 28, 2005
Rick said:
I'd have to find a place for Taylor, he has been one of the most consistant players this season, and on current for I'd find it hard to put Muirhead in the side but the idea of deano in midfield is a good one, I'm going to cheat and use the BBC website to show my formation, see below

Thats a great formation thorney...probably my prefered formation except putting emanuel in at LB insead of taylor

Rick

C&B Member
May 18, 2005
The Calverley Bantam said:
Thats a great formation thorney...probably my prefered formation except putting emanuel in at LB insead of taylor
Taylor is a far superior player than emanuel. Muirhead on form could take Morrisons place for me and Morrison and Cadders could switch sides but I think there is a good balance of attack/defence for home games against lesser teams in that formation.

Status
Not open for further replies.